Any fishing reports out there?

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Looks like our last TKF fishing report was that Confederate Reef trip almost two weeks ago...

Has this website given up on fishing reports, or are you people keeping your trips a big secret? Ha ha.

Maybe it's the time of the season when the fish are all hiding like Zombies and the living is high...?

Now I see that this board should welcome some powerboat fishing reports. One kayak report every two weeks is a travesty of justice and what TKF used to be.

Bring it on!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
impulse

Re: Any fishing reports out there?

Post by impulse »

Not a fishing report as much as an update...

Down in Sea Isle, the reds have been thick in the underwater lights each night for the past week or two. Mostly little ones in the 12-17" range being caught. There's bigger ones visible, but they don't seem to be the fastest to get to the bait. If the wind stays down, it's a great time to kayak the canals. The front blowing through may make it worse for the next few days, or better. Who knows?

Crappie jigs under a popping cork are my go-to bait with them chasing the tiny minnows this time of year... Fly rodding some small streamers is working, too.

Oh, and a word to the wise... With the long 45MPH construction zone on 3005/ San Luis Pass road, the speed traps have been thick, and apparently making a lot of money based on the numbers I've seen pulled over. I feel like an idiot doing 45, until I see the guys who pass me getting pulled over.
Last edited by impulse on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks, Impulse! Maybe TKF has a heart still beating after all... If you had said those Sea Isle redfish were keepers, I'd be planning my next kayak trip. Hello.

My experience has been the nighttime fishing comes alive in May when the canal waters warm. If the keepers start biting before then, please let us know.

My TKF philosophy now is to share fishing spots and real-time info because there's plenty of water out there and we could all use some legitimate tips.

Anybody else?

impulse

Post by impulse »

You may catch keepers. I'm a catch and release kind of guy so I don't focus on size. Just fun. And I freely admit that other guys around me often catch bigger (and more) fish than I do.

I see bigger fish in the lights. But I catch one, then they spook for a while and I move onto the next light. The lights closest to the bay seem to have a lot more activity than the ones way up the canal.

I guess my biggest point is that we've had a mild winter, and if you're waiting for the spring pop to dust off the kayak, don't wait too much longer.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Sounds like you might have a bayhouse in Sea Isle with all that first-hand fishing info, Impulse. Wish I owned one!

In our group the Nighttime Master has been Shoffer, but Kickingback bought an incredible Garmin LiveScope that illuminates fish a hundred feet away! Our other compadre Watson finally bought a Hobie to pedal, and he's revealed himself to be a true pounder of Flounder. We all love stalking 'em at night.

Just say the word and we'll meet you in the canals, Vudu Shad and Down South tails blazing! Is your bayhouse available for TKF parties...? Oh my.

mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

My last report was from the Titlum Tatlum Texas slams from my and Shoffer's trip on 02/08/20, which just means we didn't fish this past weekend. But I do think my next outing will be a night trip to the canals
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

I skipped fishing last weekend, but the weekend before I went back up to Stubblefield on Lake Conroe where I caught those couple of big bass on superbowl weekend. Had some friends meet me and out of 3 of us only one 10" white bass was caught. I enjoy fresh water fishing and camping this time of year, but listening to you guys and a few others it might be time to get back down to the coast again. Even a fat 5lb or 6lb bass doesn't compare to the pull of a slot red fish!! Just waiting for a good weather window.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I'm going to try and sneak down to the Corpus Area this Saturday weather permitting.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

I wish I had a report. :/ This weather is getting real old, I haven’t even been fly fishing the Guadalupe much.
I did finally take a camping trip with my wife and dog down to Mustang Island and PINS a few weeks ago. We drove the shore one day looking for some action in the surf, I wade fished one AM throwing at nothing, talked to a few bait fisherman and all reported nada. Surf was low and water was cold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by JW FunGuy on Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

I wish I had a report. :/ This weather is getting real old, I haven’t even been fly fishing the Guadalupe much.
I did finally take a camping trip with my wife and dog down to Mustang Island and PINS a few weeks ago. We drove the shore one day looking for some action in the surf, I wade fished one AM throwing at nothing, talked to a few bait fisherman and all reported nada. Surf was low and water was cold.

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks, men! This time of year it's good to hear from anybody about anything from anywhere.

I don't want to hear GPS coordinates, but let's try to be open about our successful trips so that others might profit from our transparent generosity.

In layman's terms, please spill your guts to us TKF potlickers when you find some decent GAMEFISH!

Thanks, and we'll see you soon...Image

JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Sorry for the duplicate post. I seem to be having issues with Tapatalk. I tried to post a pic and it dipped the post.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I haven’t been out in the saltwater since February 1st. Haven’t heard any second hand reports either. Sunday at the earliest is my next window.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Since you asked nicely, here is my report from yesterday:
- slow but steady :mrgreen:
2020-02-19.jpg
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Dandydon wrote:........I don't want to hear GPS coordinates,.....
Whoa, whoa, whoa. You're saying I don't have to post my GPS tracks with my reports?
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Crusader, you sly dog!

I like a man of few words and beautiful panfish! Those beauties taste as good or better than speckled trout. Enjoy, sir, and report often.

impulse

Post by impulse »

Not exactly a fishing report, but a photo off the back deck 15 minutes ago..

GPS... Go to a Sea Isle canal and find some green lights...

Edit: I imagine it's the same in Jamaica Beach, too. It's kind of early in the year to see them this thick. I'll update after the front blows through, for the weekend guys.
Attachments
Green Lights Small.gif
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

P.S. You gentlemen are doing pretty good with the recent fishing reports and potential reports to come... Thanks!

BUT, did I make my point that this website survives and thrives on its generous exchange of FRESH fishing info? The better the info, the more fun we have and more fish we catch.

I'm kinda old now and used to be a fire-breathing competitor who'd never give up fresh fishing info. Heck I remember years ago "blacking out" back shorelines in money-shot trophy photos. I was afraid too many new fishing buddies would show up and crowd me out.

Now I don't mind giving GPS coordinates if it helps my kayak brethren catch fish. I've had my share of epic days and thrills up my leggings. I hope you men get out there and catch 'em up.

I've pretty much seen it all, so GO FOR IT and write it up for the rest of us.

Just be sure to show your Marine manners, follow the state regs, and call The Fishing Attorneys if you need the best.

--Capt. Dandydon, Esq. Image

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Impulse, you green light hog! Get it? Rhymes with "sly dog!"

Thanks for that exciting nighttime photo!
Gave me a stiffie...

Watch for the Hobie Navy soon at a bay canal near you.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

speaking of hog, the summer is when submerged green canal lights gets visits from hog trout
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Ron, in the past I've waited until the month of May to nighttime fish. Am I missing out on some early-season gamefish? Apparently you and Mr. Watson agree.
Maybe the Hobie Navy will hit Sea Isle if the weather is right and Crusader has his canal lights on! Come join us if you can!

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Whoops, I meant Impulse having his green lights on... Crusader is the Crappie King.

If Impulse has a Sea Isle nighttime fishing party, I'll bring the cold beer, brownies and hot kolaches!

impulse

Post by impulse »

Dandydon wrote:Whoops, I meant Impulse having his green lights on... Crusader is the Crappie King.

If Impulse has a Sea Isle nighttime fishing party, I'll bring the cold beer, brownies and hot kolaches!
I'll wave at ya, for sure. But I'm just a guest, and not able to convey that privilege to others. Besides, I took the oath in the '80's when hangovers got in the way of too many early fishing mornings.

Most of the neighbors enjoy watching the kayakers, but a few of them- not so much. Not hard to understand, since the Sea Isle Facebook bunch occasionally has reports of stuff disappearing from boats and docks in the middle of the night. And a few of them have never acknowledged the fact that it is public water, in spite of being man made. Once they were connected to navigable water, the canals became part of the public domain.

The front has blown through, and the fish were still there this morning before the lights went out. Mostly mullet, but a few bigger fish lurking down deeper. The draw seems to be the tiny minnows, and I do best on tiny lures. But that's not definitive. Other guys catch a lot more than I do, on full sized swim baits.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Dandydon wrote:Ron, in the past I've waited until the month of May to nighttime fish. Am I missing out on some early-season gamefish? Apparently you and Mr. Watson agree.
Don, the biggest canal trout I've seen and sight-fished in Palm Harbor canals were in August. The bait was so thick you could walk on it. The big trout sat right on the submerged green lights, and chased the little trout out into the dark - and you could catch those casting into the dark. But there was so much bait, the big trout were lounging. I found the trick to catching them was jigging a 2" swim shad around them, so that when they decided to flare and eat, the bait would scatter and your lure would be all that was left.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks, Ron! I didn't know you were a Nighttime Master like Shoffer...

And Impulse, you da MAN for changing my mind about early-season canal fishing!

Feel free to wave at or join our Hobie Navy over in your inviting neighborhood. We appreciate your on-site reports. Am plotting our next trip right now...