Any fishing reports out there?

flydoc

Re: Any fishing reports out there?

Post by flydoc »

Been down here in Port Isabel for 3 weeks camped on the side channel with numerous nite lites.. Huge green spots lite the water well but have yet to see any trout or snook.. Very little bait to draw them in which is surprising. Figured it would be fish in a barrel but not the case. Dunno..

Mesquita flats has been productive on spooks and the fly. 12-2 is the best time for me.. Wind has been constant 20 + and 2 mi. of open water to get there can be a challenge.. Gurglers and clousers have been good site casting to cruiser reds. Leaving tomorrow then back to Aransas Pass in April. Cheers
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

flydoc wrote:Been down here in Port Isabel for 3 weeks camped on the side channel with numerous nite lites.. Huge green spots lite the water well but have yet to see any trout or snook.. Very little bait to draw them in which is surprising. Figured it would be fish in a barrel but not the case. Dunno....
we tore them up at Arroyo lights 3 weeks ago, but the baitfish were the size of plankton, and so thick under the lights they made the water black. We were fishing UL, and I think we were the only ones catching. The specs were arcing up from deep, not feeding in competition, but sipping bait.
They also weren't feeding deep - only slow retrieves without countdown would take fish.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

So it's Flydoc... Hmmmm.

Maybe the Hobie Navy could use a doctor to go along with the lawyers, ha ha.

Thanks for the info and enjoy the natural beauties of Port Isabel where Snook can bite my lures anytime...

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

I've gotten a tad lazy and over worked with a house move that we've been trying to make happen for the past 238 days on market...…….

Anyway, I have a few reports I've been meaning to post up that are not timely at all at this point, lol. But I'll get them up at some time!!!

I'll get them up when I get a chance to gather my thoughts and catch a breather.
Breathers spent doing a report these day are time I could have been spent fishing, or should be doing work instead :\
impulse

Post by impulse »

Dandydon wrote:Thanks, Ron! I didn't know you were a Nighttime Master like Shoffer...

And Impulse, you da MAN for changing my mind about early-season canal fishing!

Feel free to wave at or join our Hobie Navy over in your inviting neighborhood. We appreciate your on-site reports. Am plotting our next trip right now...
Just a heads up. There's fish all around, but the slurping noises are concentrated on the bay end of the canals. You know, that noise that trout and reds make when they're feeding at the surface... Hit the entrances to the canals hard.
impulse

Post by impulse »

I promised an update after the front blew through, for the weekend planners...

Sadly, the wind's blowing too hard (and from the north) and the water was too muddy to see the fish in the lights last night, even if they were there. I thought I saw some deeper shadows, but that may have been optimism.

Come on down for Mardi Gras anyway! It may calm down enough for a kayak adventure in between parades and baubles and beads.

https://www.mardigrasgalveston.com/
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Mardis Gras in Galveston is a big party blast, but our canal fishing suffers during such public parties.

Shoffer and I kayak-fished Sea Isle two years on the Fourth of July weekend--BIG MISTAKE! We almost got rammed that Saturday night by loads of party powerboats playing loud music and laughing it up in the canals.

Needless to say we got skunked and pissed off. I prefer weekday outings over there when the waters are quiet and the living is easy.

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

That July 3rd trip was saved only by the fireworks blasts going off every 5 seconds for two hours, which was nice for visuals, but spooked the crap out of every fish the water.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Dandydon wrote:Mardis Gras in Galveston is a big party blast, but our canal fishing suffers during such public parties.

Shoffer and I kayak-fished Sea Isle two years on the Fourth of July weekend--BIG MISTAKE! We almost got rammed that Saturday night by loads of party powerboats playing loud music and laughing it up in the canals.

Needless to say we got skunked and pissed off. I prefer weekday outings over there when the waters are quiet and the living is easy.
All true. But the best time to go fishing is.... when you can. Weatherwise, workwise and honey-do wise. Lots of us could only dream of a weekday off to go fishing. Can't predict the activity level tonight, but the canal was deserted last night (Friday night, no less), with lots of fish in the lights. The wind has laid down, and conditions look great today.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

It's ironic that this Fourth of July, Capt. Shoffer and I may be fishing Sea Isle and surrounding waters in his new Stumpnocker powerboat!

We'll have our band RUSH on the loudspeakers, cold beer after every catch, and powerful binoculars for spying on the Sea Isle ladies! Get ready for the Shoffer Party Boat.

Men, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!"Image

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Get a load of Shoffer's new TKF logo!
"Ha ha, ho ho; Shoffer's kinda kinky, ya know!"

I'm proud of the Junior captain for getting free of his "Dick in a Box" and on to the "Nipple Surfer." That's class.

Soon he'll be back in the kayak saddle, ready to lead our Navy to the solid gamefish! When is our next Fishing Window? I'm free all the time.

But meanwhile we'll be laughing and cutting up in between catches. Can't wait for Shoffer to affix his exciting Blumpkin decal to his new powerboat!

See you soon at a canal with circling specks! Image