The CORONAVIRUS-Bad for fishing?

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

The CORONAVIRUS-Bad for fishing?

Post by Dandydon »

This Chinese Coronavirus is really pissing me off because besides killing thousands of people, my stock portfolio took a dive not seen since the 2008 market meltdown!

In the 80s I spent time in Peking/Beijing doing oil deals and was repulsed by all the weird animals eaten even in the best restaurants. I would never eat dog meat or a flying bat, the probable source of the damn Coronavirus. But that's what they do. The Chinese Minister of Oil wouldn't trust me until I ate some gooey monkey brains at our State dinner.

I advise against flying to China or boarding one of those cruise ships stopping there.
Now that I think about it, please stay home and go fishing. My ultimate fear is that this pandemic will kill many Americans and hurt our local fishing.

Does anyone have any insights or tactics to fight this scourge? I am shopping for surgical masks and hoping to fish hard despite the danger. Let's go, men!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Crusader

Re: The CORONAVIRUS-Bad for fishing?

Post by Crusader »

Well, a crash is long overdue and would be really welcome -- I am sitting on cash for at least a year already. Son of a gun Trump is too good at rallying these markets (as well as feeding them with printed money) ;)

Wrt to killing people and fishing -- this may sound cold, but I think fishing will likely improve or stay the same. Simply because there will be fewer people fishing.

The way I see it:
- there is no way to avoid pandemic -- it will sweep across entire globe before end of 2020. Reserve your hospital bed now!
- Chinese were playing with fire (researching corona viruses) and now we are paying. Looks like SARS, MERS and COVID-19 are all originating from the same area -- you can't blame some seafood market and bats every time and expect people to believe.
CAS

Post by CAS »

I really believe this is something you just have to look at the bigger picture to understand. Worldwide it is being reported there have been around 2700 deaths (https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coro ... index.html). If you double or even triple this number its not even close to how many lives the flu takes each year...

Flu is estimated to kill anywhere from 290,000-650,000 people each year. (https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main ... key=208914)

Just this year there has been more than 14,000 deaths to the flu. I don't think this should change our lives here in the states much... It poses very little threat to us unless we go out of our way to travel to destinations where we are more likely to get the virus. So I don't think fishing here in Texas will be affected in the slightest.... just my two cents.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks, Crusader! Your insights are brilliant. But your instincts are genius!

Fewer fishermen = More fish!!

I'm contacting old fishermen friends and offering to write their WILLS in exchange for all their secret reefs and other fishing hotspots. Now that Shoffer has a powerboat, we'll be at your ramp or your bedside lickety split to catch fish or protect your assets in the afterlife.

My dinnertime Crown Royal Select has stimulated further thoughts (Will the Coronavirus jump over to trout, Reds or Flounder?!), but I'm dropping my microphone to make room for other concerned TKFers. Bring it, men!

What will you do to fight the virus and protect our fishery??Image

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Yaboli, I pray that you are correct.
You reminded me that we Senior Citizens should get a flu shot... Oh vay!

I expect President Trump to have the new Coronavirus vaccine available before my birthday...(June 11th) and certainly before the election in November.

Ken S

Post by Ken S »

Masks are at a premium when you can find them.
I just ordered two Israeli's gas masks with w extra filters. That should stop it. LOL
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I still have some old Michael Jackson surgical masks, but I think a self-contained scuba tank is the way to go. Don't breathe the contaminated air.
If this thing goes "Andromeda Strain" on us, I'll be buying a full Haz-Mat suit with gaskets.

My only requirement is a working front zipper for quick urinary relief. At my age it can happen every 15 minutes.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

yeah, eating monkey brains sounds like a right of passage - hopefully you only have to pony up once.
or maybe it was just a movie fad - you can blame a lame Spielberg sequel for your trauma
Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I happen to have a small stash of unused N95 face masks from some previously dusty mowing jobs, probably just enough to make through the worst of the coming outbreak of Coronavirus. Those N95 masks are the ones that offer the best protection against this virus and are already very tough to find.

CDC is saying not if but when. I’m looking at getting a few extra supplies in the coming days to weather any shortages. Hope this all is ultimately more of a fizzle and doesn’t end up amounting to too much, but I’d bet it’s going to be pretty disruptive over a course of weeks at least and much more of a widespread outbreak and series of shortages and disruptions than maybe is being said. My Best guess would be 2-3 weeks before things start to be really upended here in the USA. Italy, China, Korea, Iran, Japan and other places are already there and with all that China supplies to the world, this virus has already caused major supply issues. China isn’t exactly transparent and the WHO is a joke.

I’ve got a garden and live on a lake to provide enough victuals in case the grocery stores get bare. I’m not a “prepper” but this might be a good time to pick up a few extra essentials for around the house while there’s still enough time and supplies.
impulse

Post by impulse »

I was less than 24 hours away from hopping a flight to attend the 2020 Beijing International Fishing trade show when I got an email saying it was postponed.

This thing is going to reverberate for months to years as we start to snap to how much we depend on China for things like the raw chemicals to make medicines, and components for products that are assembled in the USA. And that Just-In-Time inventory systems crash and burn with the slightest hiccup, much less a global pandemic.

I can live without lures, rods and reels. But I'm not sure auto makers can still assemble cars without wiring harnesses that are not being made in shuttered Chinese factories. Fortunately, it coincides with the Chinese New Year holiday and normal supply disruptions were already factored in. But after that?
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks for weighing in, guys. I made my fortune traveling the world in the 80s, so I take this virus seriously. It's obvious the Chi-Coms are lying about the confirmed cases in China because that's what desperate Commies do. I expected Bolshevik Bernie Sanders last night to declare the Coronavirus a heinous Republican plot.

I was hoping that my Hobie Navy would chime in on this topic, but they're too busy messing with their trolling motors and waiting out this late February cold front.
Poor boobs...

If anybody wants to sue the Chinese government or warehouse some medical masks, call Shoffer.

JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Be sure to be wearing a surgical mask this summer while you are paddling at a back lake/marsh on the coast; where necrotizing fasciitis is waiting for your arrival.

Last one in is a rotten egg!
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I retract my earlier comments. This sh*t is serious.
Last edited by shoffer on Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

that's ok, it's all TKF BB hype, too. :mrgreen:
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Now that the Junior captain has chimed in, I invite Yaboli, Crusader, Karstopo, Impulse and the others to join our Hobie Navy next week at San Luis Pass...

But don't forget your FACE MASKS! I may go "full protection" and put on my trusty Full Body Condom, patent pending. It gives you that safe, clean feeling.Image

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Again, retracted. This is now wartime. It looks like my generation is about to experience a little of what our parents experience during WWII.
Last edited by shoffer on Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I vote for tariffs on the Chinese as long as they continue to burn massive coal reserves for electric power without scrubbing their exhaust gasses. There's a pretty good argument the acid gasses from their power plant plumes is altering the ocean, from the Great Barrier Reef to the Humbolt Current.
Coriolis brings a large portion of their industrial fallout to our west coast.
In the western world, especially the USA, fossil power is produced with an exhaust scrubbing plant that turns acid gasses to solid, and the cost of the scrubber is again as much as the balance of the plant. (the solid waste is used in high-grade portland cement)
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Shoffer and Ron are up early dispensing good info and laughs! Maybe Cuervo Jones started the pandemic by fishing in China with his huge hands. And I'm all for more tariffs on the cheating Chinese Commies.

This Coronavirus story is dominating the airwaves and making us fearful. I agree with Capt. Shoffer. Ignore the hype and GO FISHING!

And when you submit your TKF fishing reports, do us a favor and make them CURRENT so we might profit from your information. Month-old reports are stale and useless to me. Did you hear me, YakRun? Ha ha. Image

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

maybe it was this terrorist who smuggled in coronavirus?

https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/ ... =2&t=68379
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Nice fat bull Redfish you got there!
Congratulations!

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Not me, I believe that's Dave Fason fishing with Cameron Mortensen and a Louisiana guide earlier this month.

But tough to be certain.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I think the coronavirus has given all the trout here over 12 inches LOCKJAW! TexasJim
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

[quote="karstopo"]I happen to have a small stash of unused N95 face masks from some previously dusty mowing jobs, probably just enough to make through the worst of the coming outbreak of Coronavirus. Those N95 masks are the ones that offer the best protection against this virus and are already very tough to find.

CDC is saying not if but when. I’m looking at getting a few extra supplies in the coming days to weather any shortages. Hope this all is ultimately more of a fizzle and doesn’t end up amounting to too much, but I’d bet it’s going to be pretty disruptive over a course of weeks at least and much more of a widespread outbreak and series of shortages and disruptions than maybe is being said. My Best guess would be 2-3 weeks before things start to be really upended here in the USA. Italy, China, Korea, Iran, Japan and other places are already there and with all that China supplies to the world, this virus has already caused major supply issues. China isn’t exactly transparent and the WHO is a joke.

I’ve got a garden and live on a lake to provide enough victuals in case the grocery stores get bare. I’m not a “prepper” but this might be a good time to pick up a few extra essentials for around the house while there’s still enough time and supplies.[/quote]

I manage a automotive/truck tool store and yesterday my niece calls me looking for n95 masks she has been searching for them and there are none to be found for her. I have a case of them in the store and pull them off the shelf for her. I told her last week we had 2,500 boxes of them at the warehouse. I check our online inventory and there is not one box left :shock: Hopefully this isn't going to be as bad as everyone is fearing
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

There’s the disease and then the reaction to it. The reaction to it is likely much more dangerous to the world than the actual disease.
This novel Coronavirus disease appears to be the equivalent of a rather bad version of the flu and the ordinary flu kills lots of people every year, but the flu doesn’t generally upend the world unless it something like the Spanish flu of 1918, but the kill rate of that flu was many times over the apparent mortality of this new Coronavirus. But, widespread fear and panic are truly contagious and dangerous things all on their own and make people behave in inappropriate, irrational and stupid ways.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Karstopo - well said, my man. Stupendous!