Hook Sizes for Redfish Flies?

TexasJim

Hook Sizes for Redfish Flies?

Post by TexasJim »

When I fish for Reds, baitcasting, I usually use 5/0 or larger hooks. I see "Redfish Flies" for sale, but most often the largest hook size is 2/0 or 3/0. Is this because larger hooks will make the fly too heavy? Are there larger flies for bigger fish? Will a big red hook up on a 2/0 or 3/0? Just curious. TexasJim
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Hook Sizes for Redfish Flies?

Post by Ron Mc »

Jim, note Prof Salt's recent use of size 8 hooks on redfish flies.
There's probably no reason to use larger than a size 2 hook on a redfish fly (I've caught kings on size 2 fly), and my go-to is size 6 for small shrimp and dock-fishing-size minnows.
My favorite hi-tie, I'll often use a 4x-long size 6, which matches the shank length of a size 2.
I also tie cats whiskers on this hook for stripers.

At least part of the reason to go to a fly rod is offering smaller, more natural food than you can on a bait rod.
And you'll have the bait rod for the good mullet imitations.
The small stuff is easily turned over by your leader, and makes a stealthy offering.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

It is interesting about the hooks. Hooks have a lot of variables, how heavy the wire is, the shaft length, the size of the gap, the material, etc. A size 2 Gamakatsu SC-15 looks tiny and fragile next to a Size 2 Mustad C70SD big game light.

I tie mostly on size 2 and 4 hooks for general marsh and secondary bay fish or size 1 or 2 hooks for unweighted baitfish patterns. I’ve got a few 1/0 baitfish.

In general, as compared to fishing plugs and conventional jig heads with much beefier hooks, fly hooks do just as well or better in getting good sets and fish to hand as the bigger trebled hook plugs and or jig heads. Image

A lot of fish are hooked right in the corner of the mouth. ImageImage

Sometimes, it’s more toward the noseImageImage

Once in a while, they get it a little deeper.ImageImage
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Thanks, guys for Redfish Flies 101! I wouldn't have thought a big, fat-lipped Red could get snagged with a #4 hook. Also, don't you get a lot of hits from bait-stealer perch and such? I've caught a 4-inch croaker on a 5/0 hook with a 4-inch shrimp on it.
TexasJim
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

bait is a little different, because bait masks the taste of steel.
With the fly rod and especially leader, you're concerned with what you can turn over, again, stealth presentation, and imitating the normal redfish grazing food that's too small to imitate with your bait rod.
You also may be throwing that small fly at sheepshead, where small hook size is really important.
And of course if you're catching pinfish either way, there aren't big trout around to put them down.

Jim, also keep in mind I've caught trout as big as redfish on size 22 hook.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BowBuddy

Post by BowBuddy »

I like #6 for casting distance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

TexasJim wrote:Thanks, guys for Redfish Flies 101! I wouldn't have thought a big, fat-lipped Red could get snagged with a #4 hook. Also, don't you get a lot of hits from bait-stealer perch and such? I've caught a 4-inch croaker on a 5/0 hook with a 4-inch shrimp on it.
TexasJim
My biggest fly rod redfish at 13# came on a size 4# borski slider. Gamakatsu SL-45 bonefish hook, which is a small gap type. Image

This 30# plus black drum came on a size 4 hook shrimp pattern. Image

You can get some of the small stuff like croaker, catfish, sand trout, etc. Not so much sight fishing, although, sometimes something besides the sighted fish will steal the fly on the way in. Toss the fly to fish sign or around structure and random fish can find their way in the hook.

I like getting croaker and will often Imagekeep them when they get to 10” or so. Same for whiting. Catfish, not so much. ImageImageImage

If you want just reds, there will be opportunities to sight fish them and that will limit the bycatch.