TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...


User avatar
By YAKA77ACK
#2300919
Hello all,

I’ve been saltwater fishing for about 8 years now. I’m strong in surf fishing and that’s where I feel most at home. I’ve also done other types of fishing. I’ve done some jetty, wade and kayak fishing. I really enjoy the wade and kayak fishing. I have a Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT and I got that for kayaking baits out in the surf. I was also using that for some bay fishing lately. I recently got a Old Town Topwater 120 PDL and I really want to go BTB to the rigs and try for some Kings. I’m sure that 120 is not ideal for that kind of trip, but I’m willing to give it a go with the help and company from a group of BTB kayakers. I feel I would excel in BTB fishing and I have that itch to go. I believe I can go soon and might have the right rod/reel setups for this type of fishing. I’ve been watching YouTube videos on BTB kayaking and strongly believe it’s harder than it looks. I have a lot to learn and I’m asking for some help and guidance. I’d love to tag along with a group when the time is right. I’ll become an assist to any team. Looking forward to meeting any and all of you. Tight lines and be safe.
User avatar
By Fla-Fish
#2300924
Practice Practice Practice Re-Entry !!!!
Find a pool, pond, local lake and PRACTICE falling out (the Right way) yes there is a wrong and a right way to Fall out . And how to right your kayak AND get back in.
ALWAYS WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET !!!!
ALWAYS WEAR TOUR LIFE JACKET !!!!
Tie your paddle to your kayak because WHEN you fall out and You Will. Your kayak will drift away from you UNLESS you have a DEATH GRIP on your paddle that’s Tied to your kayak...
User avatar
By Fla-Fish
#2300926
Then leave your Drive unit at home your first couple times at the beach. Too easy to flip and loose it. How do you Launch thru the Surf with out it and then install it... ??
Where can you stow it INSIDE A HATCH ??
Coming back in through the Surf you can’t use it so AGAIN you have to Stow it somewhere TIED DOWN SO WHEN YOU FLIP and YOU WILL you don’t loose it.
You need to practice going out and back through the Surf Zone just You and your paddle.
OVER AND OVER....
User avatar
By YAKA77ACK
#2300938
Fla-Fish wrote:Then leave your Drive unit at home your first couple times at the beach. Too easy to flip and loose it. How do you Launch thru the Surf with out it and then install it... ??
Where can you stow it INSIDE A HATCH ??
Coming back in through the Surf you can’t use it so AGAIN you have to Stow it somewhere TIED DOWN SO WHEN YOU FLIP and YOU WILL you don’t loose it.
You need to practice going out and back through the Surf Zone just You and your paddle.
OVER AND OVER....


You have some really good points! I’ll need to practice self recovery on my new kayak. I’ve taken my Scrambler XT out in the surf plenty of times and have turtled more then I can remember. I hope to take my 120 out to the surf to practice when things calm down from this virus. I’ll have to tie down the drive more then the two locks. Probably be best if I just take my Scrambler BTB. I have your phone number. I’ll text you tomorrow.
By impulse
#2300943
Remember they make leashes for just about everything that can spill out of your kayak, including the paddle, drive unit, rods, boxes and you.

A quick search on Amazon and a few bucks will set you up for that (almost) inevitable spill.
User avatar
By Fla-Fish
#2300945
Way back when we had a saying for BTB
“RIG to Flip AND DRESS to Swim” !!!!
Tie Down everything!!!
But then you run the risk of getting tangled
In all your Tie Downs.
Remember I said the Right way to fall out ??
If your yak is going OVER and you can’t stop it BAIL OUT UPSTREAM... Hard to picture but the last thing you want is to “Go with it” in the same
Direction... And then your yak and all your gear and tie downs comes down ON TOP of you.
BAIL in the UP HILL SIDE. So the waves push your yak away from you. NOT on Top of you...
Be Smart & Be Safe
Shit goes wrong in a split second!!!
User avatar
By OrangeQuest
#2300946
If you don't already have one get a VHF radio with the weather channels. A lot of the BTB guys keep in contact with each other via radio but you can also keep in contact with "base camp" PRACTICE THE BUDDY SYSTEM, never go out alone when you are a beginner. With the buddy system you can practice deep water re-enter just past the breakers. Most people don't fall out when the water is flat, know what to do and how to get it done when all hell is trying to unleash on you. It is also a fast way to know your limits.

Better to know what you can't do before you have to do it.
User avatar
By OrangeQuest
#2300947
Speaking of leashes and getting tangled. If you have a knife make sure it has a line cutter that will cut your lines/leases with just one hand. If your knife doesn't already have one or it's not designed to cut with just one hand then go to a dive shop and get one. They are $$$ but worth it. A lot of people , me being one of them, panic when they are being pulled under. Slashing at a line with a open blade is useless most the time. But a line cutter just has to snag the line and it's cut. A lot of places are selling seat belt cutters and that is what you are looking for.

Many years ago I had picked one up at a dive shop, on sale, it was about $40.00 but it had replaceable heavy duty razor blade. Could cut up to 1/4 double braid line with one hand and very little tension on the line. They are compact and only have one job, cut line!
User avatar
By YAKA77ACK
#2300973
impulse wrote:Remember they make leashes for just about everything that can spill out of your kayak, including the paddle, drive unit, rods, boxes and you.

A quick search on Amazon and a few bucks will set you up for that (almost) inevitable spill.


I’ll definitely have to look into that. Thank you.
User avatar
By YAKA77ACK
#2300974
Fla-Fish wrote:Way back when we had a saying for BTB
“RIG to Flip AND DRESS to Swim” !!!!
Tie Down everything!!!
But then you run the risk of getting tangled
In all your Tie Downs.
Remember I said the Right way to fall out ??
If your yak is going OVER and you can’t stop it BAIL OUT UPSTREAM... Hard to picture but the last thing you want is to “Go with it” in the same
Direction... And then your yak and all your gear and tie downs comes down ON TOP of you.
BAIL in the UP HILL SIDE. So the waves push your yak away from you. NOT on Top of you...
Be Smart & Be Safe
Shit goes wrong in a split second!!!


Damn right! The last thing you want is the kayak rolling on top of you. Thanks for the tips!
User avatar
By YAKA77ACK
#2300975
OrangeQuest wrote:If you don't already have one get a VHF radio with the weather channels. A lot of the BTB guys keep in contact with each other via radio but you can also keep in contact with "base camp" PRACTICE THE BUDDY SYSTEM, never go out alone when you are a beginner. With the buddy system you can practice deep water re-enter just past the breakers. Most people don't fall out when the water is flat, know what to do and how to get it done when all hell is trying to unleash on you. It is also a fast way to know your limits.

Better to know what you can't do before you have to do it.


I definitely need to get one of the radios! I’ll need to practice all this in the new kayak. Can’t wait to get it in the surf for a trial run.
By Yakety_Yak
#2300980
YAKA77ACK wrote:Hello all,

I’ve been saltwater fishing for about 8 years now. I’m strong in surf fishing and that’s where I feel most at home. I’ve also done other types of fishing. I’ve done some jetty, wade and kayak fishing. I really enjoy the wade and kayak fishing. I have a Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT and I got that for kayaking baits out in the surf. I was also using that for some bay fishing lately. I recently got a Old Town Topwater 120 PDL and I really want to go BTB to the rigs and try for some Kings. I’m sure that 120 is not ideal for that kind of trip, but I’m willing to give it a go with the help and company from a group of BTB kayakers. I feel I would excel in BTB fishing and I have that itch to go. I believe I can go soon and might have the right rod/reel setups for this type of fishing. I’ve been watching YouTube videos on BTB kayaking and strongly believe it’s harder than it looks. I have a lot to learn and I’m asking for some help and guidance. I’d love to tag along with a group when the time is right. I’ll become an assist to any team. Looking forward to meeting any and all of you. Tight lines and be safe.



Hey, there is an outing that is posted at the top of the BTB forum. This outing is for new people that would like to try and go BTB. Check out the thread: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=251403

A few things needed for BTB is talked about on the thread (ex: radio, fish bag, etc.).

If you have any questions on this outing, feel free to call me anytime. 832-588-7091
User avatar
By YAKA77ACK
#2300994
Yakety_Yak wrote:
YAKA77ACK wrote:Hello all,

I’ve been saltwater fishing for about 8 years now. I’m strong in surf fishing and that’s where I feel most at home. I’ve also done other types of fishing. I’ve done some jetty, wade and kayak fishing. I really enjoy the wade and kayak fishing. I have a Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT and I got that for kayaking baits out in the surf. I was also using that for some bay fishing lately. I recently got a Old Town Topwater 120 PDL and I really want to go BTB to the rigs and try for some Kings. I’m sure that 120 is not ideal for that kind of trip, but I’m willing to give it a go with the help and company from a group of BTB kayakers. I feel I would excel in BTB fishing and I have that itch to go. I believe I can go soon and might have the right rod/reel setups for this type of fishing. I’ve been watching YouTube videos on BTB kayaking and strongly believe it’s harder than it looks. I have a lot to learn and I’m asking for some help and guidance. I’d love to tag along with a group when the time is right. I’ll become an assist to any team. Looking forward to meeting any and all of you. Tight lines and be safe.



Hey, there is an outing that is posted at the top of the BTB forum. This outing is for new people that would like to try and go BTB. Check out the thread: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=251403

A few things needed for BTB is talked about on the thread (ex: radio, fish bag, etc.).

If you have any questions on this outing, feel free to call me anytime. 832-588-7091


Yak - I’m impressed by all the very helpful information on that post! Thank you for sharing and putting that together. Please sign me up for that Bob Hall Pier - BTB! I’ll start working on getting the items I need. I saved your number and I’ll send you a text today, so you’ll have my number.
By Yakety_Yak
#2300996
YAKA77ACK wrote:
Yakety_Yak wrote:
YAKA77ACK wrote:Hello all,

I’ve been saltwater fishing for about 8 years now. I’m strong in surf fishing and that’s where I feel most at home. I’ve also done other types of fishing. I’ve done some jetty, wade and kayak fishing. I really enjoy the wade and kayak fishing. I have a Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT and I got that for kayaking baits out in the surf. I was also using that for some bay fishing lately. I recently got a Old Town Topwater 120 PDL and I really want to go BTB to the rigs and try for some Kings. I’m sure that 120 is not ideal for that kind of trip, but I’m willing to give it a go with the help and company from a group of BTB kayakers. I feel I would excel in BTB fishing and I have that itch to go. I believe I can go soon and might have the right rod/reel setups for this type of fishing. I’ve been watching YouTube videos on BTB kayaking and strongly believe it’s harder than it looks. I have a lot to learn and I’m asking for some help and guidance. I’d love to tag along with a group when the time is right. I’ll become an assist to any team. Looking forward to meeting any and all of you. Tight lines and be safe.



Hey, there is an outing that is posted at the top of the BTB forum. This outing is for new people that would like to try and go BTB. Check out the thread: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=251403

A few things needed for BTB is talked about on the thread (ex: radio, fish bag, etc.).

If you have any questions on this outing, feel free to call me anytime. 832-588-7091


Yak - I’m impressed by all the very helpful information on that post! Thank you for sharing and putting that together. Please sign me up for that Bob Hall Pier - BTB! I’ll start working on getting the items I need. I saved your number and I’ll send you a text today, so you’ll have my number.


I look forward to talking with you about kayak fishing. :)
By MeenAg15
#2301093
On the topic of help needed for btb fishing.

I'm at a lose on the best way to attack. I'm a well experienced bass fisherman but when it comes to salt water, my go to have always been shrimp or a spoon and that's it. What do y'all like to throw/troll when going btb? Not asking for secrets just a general recommendation :mrgreen:
By Yakety_Yak
#2301103
MeenAg15 wrote:On the topic of help needed for btb fishing.

I'm at a lose on the best way to attack. I'm a well experienced bass fisherman but when it comes to salt water, my go to have always been shrimp or a spoon and that's it. What do y'all like to throw/troll when going btb? Not asking for secrets just a general recommendation :mrgreen:


Many use king fish leaders and throw on a ribbon fish to troll with. If you run out of those or don't want to use them, then you can use things like the Halco lures or the 3D Crystal Minnow deep divers made by Yo-Zuri. Yo-Zuri is more expensive but worth every penny. The Halco is awesome as well and is cheaper. Either way you can't go wrong.

You should try the BTB outing that is going on during the date of June 6th (it's free and it caters to new people that want to try BTB kayak fishing). The thread is posted as a pinned topic at the top of the BTB section. Post in there if interested in attending and more details will post as it gets closer to the outing. Tight lines!! :)
User avatar
By DumpTruck
#2301134
Fun point, the Old Town drives float. Lil added security on that rig you got. I've taken my Pred PDL offshore several times and liked it. Can get a little weird with the tall seat in 3+ foot swells and whitecaps, but I think the topwater has a low seat option, eh?
By MeenAg15
#2301243
Yakety_Yak wrote:
MeenAg15 wrote:On the topic of help needed for btb fishing.

I'm at a lose on the best way to attack. I'm a well experienced bass fisherman but when it comes to salt water, my go to have always been shrimp or a spoon and that's it. What do y'all like to throw/troll when going btb? Not asking for secrets just a general recommendation :mrgreen:


Many use king fish leaders and throw on a ribbon fish to troll with. If you run out of those or don't want to use them, then you can use things like the Halco lures or the 3D Crystal Minnow deep divers made by Yo-Zuri. Yo-Zuri is more expensive but worth every penny. The Halco is awesome as well and is cheaper. Either way you can't go wrong.

You should try the BTB outing that is going on during the date of June 6th (it's free and it caters to new people that want to try BTB kayak fishing). The thread is posted as a pinned topic at the top of the BTB section. Post in there if interested in attending and more details will post as it gets closer to the outing. Tight lines!! :)



Already have it marked on the calendar and plan on going. Port aransas is my second home. Went to college there for a while at TAMUCC. Wish i would've known about the event for previous years. Oh well better late than never.
By Yakety_Yak
#2301255
MeenAg15 wrote:
Yakety_Yak wrote:
MeenAg15 wrote:On the topic of help needed for btb fishing.

I'm at a lose on the best way to attack. I'm a well experienced bass fisherman but when it comes to salt water, my go to have always been shrimp or a spoon and that's it. What do y'all like to throw/troll when going btb? Not asking for secrets just a general recommendation :mrgreen:


Many use king fish leaders and throw on a ribbon fish to troll with. If you run out of those or don't want to use them, then you can use things like the Halco lures or the 3D Crystal Minnow deep divers made by Yo-Zuri. Yo-Zuri is more expensive but worth every penny. The Halco is awesome as well and is cheaper. Either way you can't go wrong.

You should try the BTB outing that is going on during the date of June 6th (it's free and it caters to new people that want to try BTB kayak fishing). The thread is posted as a pinned topic at the top of the BTB section. Post in there if interested in attending and more details will post as it gets closer to the outing. Tight lines!! :)



Already have it marked on the calendar and plan on going. Port aransas is my second home. Went to college there for a while at TAMUCC. Wish i would've known about the event for previous years. Oh well better late than never.



I've added you to the list. Welcome and I look forward to meeting you out there. Also, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post on TKF or you can hit me up. 832-588-7091
Sea Isle, over the lights.

I've wanted to fish sea isle but I didn't think y[…]

BTB Break for a river trip??

Hey Glenn. Time well spent! BTW those ION camer[…]

Brazos River Trip

Hey Guys. If you have not paddled the Brazos it is[…]

Llano river 87 to Castell

thank you that is super helpful.