PA14 PVC distance?

stangfisher

PA14 PVC distance?

Post by stangfisher »

My wife and I are getting back into kayak fishing. Just got done building my trailer. I just need to know what distance the PVC pipes need to be at to cradle the kayaks?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: PA14 PVC distance?

Post by kickingback »

Depends on your kayaks. Put them on the trailer before screwing them in and get the location where they ride in the groove along the botom of kayak if you travel with them in the normal position. If you want to store on side to get more kayaks then use them to "cradle" the kayak when on it's side. Just an input...
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Mine are 12" apart but that is for 4" PVC. Different size PVC will change that distance. Also I used sewer PVC pipe instead of schedule 40. The sewer pipe is thinner wall and has a little more flex and not as rigid.
Wutevs

Post by Wutevs »

Check out this thread for ideas: http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 3&t=121567

If you are installing your PVC bunks on unistrut, you can adjust them as necessary to the kayak your hauling.

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

This is just an FYI, because I know this is an extremely popular way to store/transport Hobie kayaks. In the Hobie's owner's manual using PVC is not recommended and could void the warranty.
Attachments
hobie.jpg
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Wow! There has got to an awful lot of distorted kayaks out there! :/
stangfisher

Post by stangfisher »

Thanks for all the help fellas. Picked them up yesterday from fin factory in Corpus. Good group of people. When transporting I will let them ride on PVC. Took the advice and adjusted the pipes to each hull. I'll store them using what Neumie posted.
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Here's how I did mine for my PA 14...it's a little more than you need, but I think at about 1min 30secs into the video I stay my distance between cross members for the bunks (78"?). I think Hobie recommends 76"

I've had my two Hobie kayaks on this trailer now for 2 years w/o issue. The bunks have stress-relaxed in a slight bow/depression but no so much it will turn my yaks into warped bananas as I recall seeing at Florida kayak rentals back in the mid-90's.

https://youtu.be/3pg1h-6Z4UQ

-Roy