March 30th Night Fishing Galveston Report

Yakety_Yak

March 30th Night Fishing Galveston Report

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Earlier this day I was talking to Yakrunabout on the phone to see when both Yakrunabout and Drifting Yak were going to be fishing again. Yakrunabout had not spoken to Drifting Yak yet but after speaking with runabout, he agreed that the best time this week to fish would be that very day but night fishing. After runabout and Drifting spoke, they agreed that Monday night was the best time to fish so we all made a plan to practice social distancing on the water. Runabout and Drifting wanted to catch the evening bite so they arrived to the launch around 4:00 pm. I, however, didn't want to fish until the night fall. I arrived and launched around 8:30 pm. We all had VHF radios so we stayed in communication through this method.

Apparently the winds before I arrived were hitting pretty hard. When I arrived and launched, the winds stayed at a steady 5 - 6 mph the entire night while we were there. The weather man definitely didn't get the wind forecast right this night. It was predicted to be much higher. I wasn't complaining though. The night air stayed around 68 - 70 degrees making things feel awesome during the night (never to hot or cold and the humidity wasn't bad either). I usually go into a big story but I'll keep this brief. I ended up at the end of the night with 2 reds and a trout. I caught a total of 15 - 20 trout but you know how that goes, only one was of size. I did catch a sand trout as well and a hard head (not sure how that happened, lol). I had another red that let go of the hook. Another red broke the line where I tie my knot from my braid to my flouro leader. In other words, my knot must not have been tied very well therefore costing me a huge fish. Oh well, it happens. I still ended the night with some nice keepers.

The trout was around 17.5", the smaller red at 20.5", and the bigger red was at 27.5". That big red tried to take me to the docks but I managed to keep him away. I have to give that red credit though for the effort. Fun night with my two buddies Yakrunabout and Drifting Yak. Until next time, tight lines!!

PS: The gas prices at Buc-ee's was a nice added bonus. :)
Attachments
IMG_1070.JPG
IMG_E1071.JPG
IMG_1073.PNG
IMG_1074.PNG
YakRunabout

Re: March 30th Night Fishing Galveston Report

Post by YakRunabout »

Nice report, Blake. Thanks for posting. And congrats on that big red!!

My night was not as productive! I did end up with a couple of trout to take home, both around 16”, but the story of my outing was catfish!!

Hardheads in the lights! What’s this world coming to! I have caught catfish from time to time on my soft plastics, but not often. This day I caught 3. It started off with a gafftop early on, followed by 2 hardheads in the lights. Mike got up close to a light and said the circling fish looked like catfish. Now, catfish are fun to get on the line, their pull makes me think that I have a red on. But then they show themselves, or often the first hint is all the slime up the line!

Anyway – a fun outing, great weather, winds were not bad, out-going tide, just the wrong fish!
Attachments
Slimed!
Slimed!
P3301232.JPG
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Nice job getting out, guys. And great job on the red, Blake. I looked at the wind report that night as we were outside by the fire pit and I noticed the wind wasn't blowing as hard as I expected it to be. But I still had fish in the fridge.

I have not taken the yaks off of my vehicle so as soon as the next window is there, so am I.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Thanks for posting. It was a beautiful evening/night. We all caught fish but Blake was the man with his 27 inch red!
Be safe everyone....
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

good job guys - thanks for posting
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Good on you Blake for getting out and fighting this stay at home disease covid19. Some really nice fish there and sorry they weren't the same for Yakrunabout.
When's the next trip? They are biting good at night right now. Even flounder gigging is good right now near SLP. Get in your kayak and paddle across from the public ramp to the sand bars and have fun walking around instead of paddling around!
We only need the yaks to get over to the bars.
Thanks again for sharing! Love night fishing and/or gigging! Seems to be more relaxing for me personally. :clap:
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Nice talking with you.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

kickingback wrote:Good on you Blake for getting out and fighting this stay at home disease covid19. Some really nice fish there and sorry they weren't the same for Yakrunabout.
When's the next trip? They are biting good at night right now. Even flounder gigging is good right now near SLP. Get in your kayak and paddle across from the public ramp to the sand bars and have fun walking around instead of paddling around!
We only need the yaks to get over to the bars.
Thanks again for sharing! Love night fishing and/or gigging! Seems to be more relaxing for me personally. :clap:

You know me, I'm always up for a night trip. :)

Tombo wrote:Nice talking with you.
Great talking with you as well. I look forward to doing some fishing with you once this virus stuff clears up.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Awesome job guys. Glad y'all got out and caught some fish.

KB thanks also for the SLP info. I won't be able to use it this year, but maybe next :)