Looking to learn (Lewisville/RayBob)

rippyro

Looking to learn (Lewisville/RayBob)

Post by rippyro »

This will be somewhat of a long intro (new to posting here) and a request.

Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Robert. I fished small ponds for bass growing up and enjoy targeting new species now that I own a kayak. I also love getting to enjoy my catch later with my family at the dinner table. I've got about a year and a half of kayak fishing experience under my belt and have spent my time in a couple of large ponds, Ray Roberts and Texoma.
I'm a novice fisherman (mostly) and I feel like every time I hit the lake I'm completely lost in the massive number of potential fishing spots. I love catfish, crappie, striper, and white (sand) bass.

So far I don't have any success catfishing.
I have moderate success catching crappie, but only on a couple of honey holes I came across when fishing the buck Creek ramp at Ray Roberts (which is currently closed due to flooding). Outside of buck Creek I have zero crappie fishing success. I've launched from isle du buois and Jordan park without any luck.
I don't have a clue what I'm doing when fishing for sand bass. I lucked into some feeding on the surface last summer on Lewisville and caught a couple when targeting crappie around standing timber on Ray Roberts, but that's it.
I have caught plenty of striper on Texoma around the dam side of the lake.

I'm looking for a fishing partner in the north Texas area to fish Ray Roberts or Lewisville with. I live 10-30 minutes from just about any ramp on both lakes. I want to learn how to find and catch catfish (any species for now), crappie, and sand bass. I'd love to hit the lake with a solid plan rather than paddle aimlessly in search of anything that will bite (which they usually don't lol) I just don't possess the knowledge to know where to start to give me the best odds of catching something.

Any tips (especially for flooded conditions like we have here now) on where to look, start, what to use, etc is greatly appreciated (yes I know it's a lot lol). I love being out on the lake all day, but paddling everywhere without a single bite gets frustrating after a while. I'm reading everything I can, but I can't translate it to these specific lakes and conditions. I'm a hands on learner more than anything. I've considered going out with a guide on Lewisville or RayBob to learn techniques and what they use, but getting to spots on a boat is way easier than a kayak, so not sure if it'll translate due to my capabilities as a kayak fisherman.

For those of you who read this whole thing, I appreciate it. I'm looking forward to learning a few things from the people here. Anyone looking for a fishing partner in the North Dallas area let me know!

- Robert

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Looking to learn (Lewisville/RayBob)

Post by kickingback »

Welcome Robert! Look forward to any reports if you go and any comments to share with us all.
I do not have experience in that area as I live in Houston. Good lakes for sure though. I hope someone chimes in to assist/meet. I would but my car is out of commission. Gonna buy a new one soon.
Sorry I am of no help but keep us informed how it turns out for you.
rippyro

Re: RE: Re: Looking to learn (Lewisville/RayBob)

Post by rippyro »

kickingback wrote:Welcome Robert! Look forward to any reports if you go and any comments to share with us all.
I do not have experience in that area as I live in Houston. Good lakes for sure though. I hope someone chimes in to assist/meet. I would but my car is out of commission. Gonna buy a new one soon.
Sorry I am of no help but keep us informed how it turns out for you.
Will do! Thanks for the reply. This virus has me stuck at home today, but hopefully I can make it to a spot I've been eyeing on Lewisville soon.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Don't get sick! I haven't been out of the house for 2 months since this thing started. My sister actually lives in Lewisville and I visit her at least once a year and my brother in law keeps asking me to bring the kayaks so he and I can got out sometime but never have took it up as I thought it would be a lot of trouble towing 2 kayaks to dallas area. But I am easy and willing to try someday! :lol:
rippyro

Post by rippyro »

kickingback wrote:Don't get sick! I haven't been out of the house for 2 months since this thing started. My sister actually lives in Lewisville and I visit her at least once a year and my brother in law keeps asking me to bring the kayaks so he and I can got out sometime but never have took it up as I thought it would be a lot of trouble towing 2 kayaks to dallas area. But I am easy and willing to try someday! Image
I'm not too concerned with getting sick. We don't usually go a whole lot of crowded places. With the kids being stuck at home though it put the kybosh on any fishing today. (65 degrees, 4-5mph wind today). It's frustrating, but what're you gonna do?

The one ramp I enjoy on Ray Roberts is closed currently due to flooding. Caught these last time out there though. Looking forward to learning Lewisville because it's so close to the house. ImageImageImage

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Can't wait for the reports! Those are some great slabs Sir! Pictures are always welcomed! :clap:
rippyro

Post by rippyro »

Went and paddled little elm Creek the other day. Water is up to 18-21' in the creek. Very high and muddy (<6" visibility). Only thing I caught was a 36" gar on a road runner with black and pink bobby Garland on it.
That was a hell of a fight on crappie tackle and a kayak lol. No pictures unfortunately. Didn't wanna risk dropping my phone in the creek. It dang near knocked me in when it jumped into me from the side of the kayak. Two guys out there bank fishing had a heck of a show I'm sure haha

pershing

Post by pershing »

Lewisville was my go to lake, its been years since I have been on the water waiting for my youngest to get big enough to go out with me. Working on my kayak and was planning a trip when this whole virus thing hit. I mostly caught white bass while trolling with a jig or small plastic minnow. Caught a few LMB and crappies too. Miss it, cant wait to hit it again. Good luck and stay safe everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rippyro

Post by rippyro »

pershing wrote:Lewisville was my go to lake, its been years since I have been on the water waiting for my youngest to get big enough to go out with me. Working on my kayak and was planning a trip when this whole virus thing hit. I mostly caught white bass while trolling with a jig or small plastic minnow. Caught a few LMB and crappies too. Miss it, cant wait to hit it again. Good luck and stay safe everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been out a couple of times with no success crappie fishing. Reports from everyone else say crappie have been hard to come by on LL. Catfish are biting right now. Hopefully the crappie will pick up soon