TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...

Please visit our sponsor Slowride Guide Services
By Prof. Salt
Saturday was a tough day on the water with winds around 20, but I still managed a few fish on the 4 and a couple more on the 6. Monday was a little better but still breezy. Twice I was casting to tailing fish and put the fly behind the visible tails because sometimes the larger fish are hidden behind the front-runners. Instead of hooking the big reds, I hooked smallish trout. Unfortunately they tend to jump and head-shake, which breaks up the school. :? I guess trout must follow the schools of redfish for an easy dinner just like seagulls.

By Prof. Salt
I finally graduated to something other than a Clouser design. These don't need any weight up front to get them to stay down, and the EP fibers soak up water to allow a nice slow descent. When the fly lands, it barely makes a ripple. Fish don't seem to care about the lure hitting the water, which is a nice change from most flies and all plastic baits. A loner redfish in 6" of water will be on high alert to avoid larger predators as it hunts. Any surprising splash will send them darting for deeper water, but I can place this fly a foot or two from the fish without scaring it. For that reason more and more of my redfish fly box is taken up with this type of design.

I've been lazy but finally getting around to writi[…]

I fish Dead Caney Creek occasionally I have a f[…]

Fillet knives

Lou is window-shopping fillet knives, and I sent h[…]

8" hatch with hobie insert

Didn't know that's what you were looking to do. Th[…]