Anchor Trolley

ben_beyer

Anchor Trolley

Post by ben_beyer »

I'm going to be adding an anchor trolley to my kayak. Is there any advantage to putting one on both sides of the kayak or is one side sufficient?

Somthing I was thinking about yesterday and the ACK version is $25 so to do 2 is not a huge expense.
SWFinatic

Re: Anchor Trolley

Post by SWFinatic »

I think it's a matter of personal preference to you and your kayak. I personally like my anchor trolleys on the opposite side that I keep my paddle on (if you keep your paddle on the side of your kayak). Mainly since I keep a stake out stick on the other side being the same side as the AT. But also because I don't like getting the AT or whatever I have connected to the AT (drift chute, anchor rope, etc) wrapped up in my paddle.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Makes sense. I was trying to figure out why you wouldn't do it and I keep my stake out pole on the right too and I also have a drift sock.

I currently have some rope tied to my stake out pole, but it is kind of a pain to have to put in the pole and then let out and tie off the line. I'd rather stick the stake out pole in the ring and adjust.
rbdavis3591

Post by rbdavis3591 »

I cast right handed so the line ends up more to the left side. For this reason I put the anchor trolley on the right side to reduce chances of tangling. After awhile I discovered sometimes I needed to anchor from the left side so I put another one on the left side.

Like you said they are cheap so why not put on both sides.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I cast right handed and put my anchor trolley on the right side (from a seating position) for a couple of reasons.

1) I store my rods on the left side of my milk crate and with the anchor trolley on the right side of the kayak (opposite of my rods) it points to nose of my kayak slightly to the right so my rods are farther over my left shoulder and giving me ample clearance for my back cast.

2) I like to sit side saddle while drifting flats. I hang my feet off the left side which puts my rods to my left and gives me ample room to cast from my right. I have my anchor trolley nearly running the full length on the right side so it pulls from both the bow and stern of the kayak.

Hopefully this pic helps:
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I have one on each side just for the wind when anchored. It's a money/time preference IMHO. You will want it someday so if you got at least tie down points on the other side just in case it would suffice. I'm in a Hobie PA14 so you can see why I want on both sides to hold that heavy pig on spot when anchored to face the fishing no matter where the wind is blowing.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Left side, as my Hobie Revolution has the paddle clip on the right side built in.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Neumie wrote:I cast right handed and put my anchor trolley on the right side (from a seating position) for a couple of reasons.

1) I store my rods on the left side of my milk crate and with the anchor trolley on the right side of the kayak (opposite of my rods) it points to nose of my kayak slightly to the right so my rods are farther over my left shoulder and giving me ample clearance for my back cast.

2) I like to sit side saddle while drifting flats. I hang my feet off the left side which puts my rods to my left and gives me ample room to cast from my right. I have my anchor trolley nearly running the full length on the right side so it pulls from both the bow and stern of the kayak.

Hopefully this pic helps:
I already have a trolley but I never thought of drifting that way. Sounds like a much easier way to do it! I'm always learning new things off this board :)
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I can think of one boat (Kazkazi Dorado) that comes with full-length anchor trolley on one side, and half-length on the bow half of the other side.
One reason to have anchor trolley only on one side is to save the other side for other rigging, such as rudder deployment line.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I just pulled the trigger on the YakAttack HD Anchor Trolley. I'm looking forward to using it on my trip to Port Aransas in September or if I can get to East Matagorda before then.

Thanks for everyone's comments!
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

ben_beyer wrote:I just pulled the trigger on the YakAttack HD Anchor Trolley.
Personally this is my favorite anchor trolley. The cord they provide is solid and doesn't need adjusting once you get the tension set right. I also like the guides the provide to help keep the cords in line. Solid system IMO.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

ben_beyer wrote:I just pulled the trigger on the YakAttack HD Anchor Trolley.
Personally this is my favorite anchor trolley. The cord they provide is solid and doesn't need adjusting once you get the tension set right. I also like the guides the provide to help keep the cords in line. Solid system IMO.