A Morning at SLP -

YakRunabout

A Morning at SLP -

Post by YakRunabout »

We launched when the sky was getting light and so we were on the water for the colorful sunrise.
P5281326.JPG
There was a south wind and a strong incoming tide, so heading north was a speedy trip. I believe that Mike had a PB PA14 speed record close to 6mph – course that is both current and wind assisted (with an umbrella to enhance the wind aspect!)

We fished in marsh areas, shallows, bayous and deeps, finding mainly trout and flounder. Neither of us caught any reds through the whole day. I ended taking home 2 trout and a flounder, all in the 17-18” range.
image3446.jpg
I did have a couple of catches that made me think that I had a nice fish on – the first, a decent sized hardhead that made me think that I had a nice trout, or maybe a red – but no, I could put my net back down, just a slimer.
The second was a sting ray – thought that I had a flounder for a time until I finally got it off bottom and could see the uniform coloring and distinctive shape. Luckily, it was foul hooked in the front and so not hard to remove the hook.
P5281337.JPG
I also had a close encounter with a Loon! Now we hear them or see them often and take their presence as a good sign – since if they are there, then there must be food. Food for them may mean fish for us! Well, I was snuggled up against a grassy bank in order to hold position while I was casting into a deeper zone, when one of the pair of loons that we had previously seen got closer to me as it worked its way down the bank, either searching on the surface or chasing its prey under water. During one of these under water excursions it came right by me! My being there did not seem to bother it at all –
P5281339.JPG
Well, the skies to the north were growing darker with rising cloud formations. The radar indicated that they were not headed our way, so no rush, but it was time to go anyway. We ended up going through some of those storms on the road home, and so got the kayaks washed along the way!
mwatson71

Re: A Morning at SLP -

Post by mwatson71 »

Sounds like a good morning. I was tempted to go out this morning as well but had some work to get caught up on and knew if I went down early I'd end up staying longer than intended.

Glad someone got out and got some fish though. I love this time of year.
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Nice fish there! Great report, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Any trip with a keeper flounder is great for me! Well done and thank you for posting and sharing your outing! Good pictures help tell your story well!!! :clap:
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

YakRunabout wrote:We launched when the sky was getting light and so we were on the water for the colorful sunrise.
P5281326.JPG We ended up going through some of those storms on the road home, and so got the kayaks washed along the way!
We left Matagorda once after 4 days of camping on the beach and we caught in storms and rain around El Campo and for the most part drove in rain all the way back to Ft Worth. I loved it since I didn't have to give my truck and kayaks the normal rub n scrub when I got home! Sometimes ol' mother nature smiles on us
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciated -

These rain storms lately have been pretty violent and a bit of a light show. On the road is the only place that I would like to endure one with so much lightning
Of course, if you are on the water enough then it is difficult to escape them, but that is OK when it is just rain.
OI000324.JPG
Often rewarded with a nice view afterwards!
OI000326~2.JPG