Sea Isle, over the lights.

mwatson71

Re: Sea Isle, over the lights.

Post by mwatson71 »

Thanks for the updated video. I find them extremely useful.
impulse

Post by impulse »

To anyone contemplating the drive on this Easter Sunday...

The wind is howling in the wrong direction, the tide is about 1-1/2' high, and the waves in the canal are even higher than that.
So I doubt I'll even see the lights tonight. It'll be too rough and murky.

Stay home with family. You won't miss any fishing.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Let me modify my last statement... If you can get into one of the winding canals that's not exposed to the wind off the bay, you may get in some fishing. I just drove around the neighborhood, and some of the back canals are fishable in terms of wind and chop. But the canals exposed to the bay are pretty dicey.
evilduck

Post by evilduck »

I've wanted to fish sea isle but I didn't think you could launch from marina unless your a resident. Is that true?
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

evilduck wrote:I've wanted to fish sea isle but I didn't think you could launch from marina unless your a resident. Is that true?
There are chains at the boat ramp in the marina that require a key to unlock them. I think you get a key if you are either a resident.

I would never be able to lift a boat over the chain.
impulse

Post by impulse »

No video evidence, but the trout are in the lights pretty consistent. Nothing like that photo from March 24, but that was really too easy.

I haven't seen (or caught) any reds lately, but I've caught quite a few keeper trout on plastic shrimp in the few minutes I cast before the skeeters chase me back inside. I'm sure that someone a little more serious -with bug spray- could do quite well. All catch and release on my part, BTW.

Special guest appearances by a 7' gar and a 3-4' gar, usually around 3:00-4:00 AM. Which is also the most active time for the trout, though they're out there from dark to dawn.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Good update! I miss your light videos tho. I know it's hard fishing right now. I am going to get out soon I hope too.
Stay safe!
Ramon13rh

Flounder spots

Post by Ramon13rh »

I'm going kayaking tomorrow and I'm trying to go after flounder . I can't seem to catch them does anyone know any spots in sabine pass ?
impulse

Post by impulse »

kickingback wrote:Good update! I miss your light videos tho. I know it's hard fishing right now. I am going to get out soon I hope too.
Stay safe!
https://youtu.be/-Me7JJ0Frb4

From a couple of days ago...
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Flounder spots

Post by kickingback »

Ramon13rh wrote:I'm going kayaking tomorrow and I'm trying to go after flounder . I can't seem to catch them does anyone know any spots in sabine pass ?
Flounder are holding where the water is shallow to deep and flowing so it moves baitfish over them in the sand or soot near grass, rocks or other small structure. Bridges are ideal too. There are some deep near a flat area close by. I posted in your other post to check my posts for help.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

impulse wrote:
kickingback wrote:Good update! I miss your light videos tho. I know it's hard fishing right now. I am going to get out soon I hope too.
Stay safe!
https://youtu.be/-Me7JJ0Frb4

From a couple of days ago...
THANKS! I can see by that video why there are no fish to catch. NO BAIT in the lights! Cool to see as it helps to see if the fish are active. Thanks again!
impulse

Post by impulse »

kickingback wrote:THANKS! I can see by that video why there are no fish to catch. NO BAIT in the lights! Cool to see as it helps to see if the fish are active. Thanks again!
Quite the contrary...

The fish aren't as "in your face", boiling at the surface as they were in the spring. But there's a lot of fish activity deeper, which shows up in the low quality (time lapse) video as dark spots cruising through the lights. The scale is also misleading, with the smaller trout you will see at around 12" long. But they look tiny in the video taken from the 2nd floor.

I've been doing just as well, and I chalk that up to the fact that the bait's not so thick that the fish ignore my offering completely. That was frustrating in the spring... Thousands of fish visible, but so much bait in the water, mine couldn't compete. (To be fair, when we had kids over, they used live and dead shrimp and live piggy perch. They did quite well, even with the canals choked with shad. We mostly throw artificials)

And, word to the wise, pack bug spray. They're miserable after the recent rains.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I agree with impulse. My best fishing nights as far as quality fish have come when there are fewer fish in the lights. Ideally, I like to see a small circle of shad or maybe a shrimp getting chased and hopping out of the water. I'll throw well past the light, count down to let my lure drop to the depth I want (something I learned from kickingback), and then bring my lure thru the light at my chosen depth.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Mike, if Shoffer wasn't lying, we're scheduled to fish Sea Isle tomorrow (Tuesday) night. Conditions and tides look great.

He might be tired and hog-tied from catching all those undersized Trout Saturday night, poor thing.

But I've got the FEVER and am going with or without him.

Hope to see you, Kickingback, Pole Position, Big-Butt Boy, Covid Victim, & Capt. Carl at the launch. Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk