Yellow Submarine

eyedoc

Yellow Submarine

Post by eyedoc »

I’ve got an awesome Malibu 2XL that I’ve got rugged out and even though it’s technically a tandem, it’s a one guy yak now. Elevated seat, yak attack racks and I’m installing a fish finder this weekend, so it’s just how I want it.

The only thing that I wonder about is the fact that it’s bright yellow. I got it for ocean fishing, but now I’m all freshwater and I wonder if that bright yellow is an issue in shallower water. It seems like it’s be visible from a thousand yards.

I’m wondering if I should consider painting it or if it’s just something in my head. It’s a $1200 yak and I’ve put a lot of work and money into getting it exactly how I like, so I don’t want to just buy another one.

Do you guys think it matters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Yellow Submarine

Post by Neumie »

eyedoc wrote:Do you guys think it matters?
No.

I've paddled with many guys in bright kayaks in the bays and no one ever had an issue spooking shallow water reds due to bright kayaks. Shadows and making banging noises are a bigger issue, IMO.
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

I have a florescent green JK 'Cuda, and have floated over bass in 3 feet of clear water without spooking them.
As soon as I dipped my paddle, tho... Peowwww. Gone! LOL.

Kirk B.
eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

Neumie wrote:
eyedoc wrote:Do you guys think it matters?
No.

I've paddled with many guys in bright kayaks in the bays and no one ever had an issue spooking shallow water reds due to bright kayaks. Shadows and making banging noises are a bigger issue, IMO.
Funny, all of the noise my yak makes when I move stuff pushed me to order a full sheet of Deck Mat to cover everything but the dry storage and foot wells to dampen and muffle everything.

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

When I first got my Tarpon 120 in the bright red my fishing partner gave me grief saying I was going to scare all the fish. I did it more for safety reasons (getting run over by PB, having trouble while alone etc.) Well we have fished right together in narrow channels and I’m still catching fish. I heard all they see is a shadow over them. And something big! Stealth is better.
eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

I still need to add a console of some kind and fish finder, but it’s mostly done!Image