Shamrock Cove near Port A. is it open to launch your kayak?

UCkayaker

Shamrock Cove near Port A. is it open to launch your kayak?

Post by UCkayaker »

Hello Fellow Kayakers. Planning on going kayaking the weekend of July 18. Does anyone know if they will close Shamrock? I know they have a boat launch and a kayak launch area. I would appreciate any information. Thanks.
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Shamrock Cove near Port A. is it open to launch your kayak?

Post by Neumie »

Got to launch down by the boats. The old "kayak" launch has been closed, essentially, since Harvey; Google Maps
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

The crime rate has risen all over Texas. I remember Shamrock cove launch area to be a favourite of the petty thieves (break windows and steal anything in sight). Is that still the case?
UCkayaker

Post by UCkayaker »

Hello fellow fisherman. I fished Shamrock Saturday July 18 and both the kayak and boat road were open. No issues. Did manage to catch a few reds. I guess I answered my own question only several days later. Tight lines. The old calche road is a private road and that has been closed since the beginning of 2020. Tight Lines.
Attachments
2020 July 18 Shamrock Reds Gaby-38-4.jpg
2020 July 18 Shamrock Reds Gaby-25-9.jpg
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

UCkayaker wrote:Hello fellow fisherman. I fished Shamrock Saturday July 18 and both the kayak and boat road were open. No issues. Did manage to catch a few reds. I guess I answered my own question only several days later. Tight lines. The old calche road is a private road and that has been closed since the beginning of 2020. Tight Lines.
Nicely done. And thanks for the updates regarding the luanch site.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Wilson't is private property (just stating since Neumie brought that to light in other threads) and I've launched there in the past. I kept the past crime in mind and I don't leave anything valueable out. I take my sunglasses and put them in the center console or leave them at where we are staying. I took a cooler out of the truck once and locked it in my bed with the locks for my kayak and no one messed with it. Now I put rod holders on it so essentially there isn't much other than a small tool bag. And the few tools I have in it for emergencies or chainging my oil all came from Harbor Freight for the most part so they're easily replaceable.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

ben_beyer wrote:Wilson't is private property (just stating since Neumie brought that to light in other threads) and I've launched there in the past.
According to Nueces County Tax records it is privately owned by an invest firm out of British Columbia, Canada. I wish a government organization (whether county or TPWD) would step up and allocate funding to purchase that sliver of land, but that may not be possible due to the investment company owning 2 miles of road frontage from the caliche rd to the south up to the water tower.