Under line?

pearlbeer

Under line?

Post by pearlbeer »

Somehow, I've lost the reel to my 4wt. Bummer.

I could always use a back up rod, so might look into getting a full rig. I fish exclusively TFO rods.

Thinking of getting a 5wt as I have two 4wts. Maybe lining reel with a 4wt line, but if I'm fishing bigger water throw it on the 5wt for a bit more backbone.

Eventually, I want a small 7'6" 3wt as well for small creeks. (I can always figure out a way to justify more gear)

Thoughts on underlining the 5? Any other suggestions or considerations?
Bayoutalker

Re: Under line?

Post by Bayoutalker »

That's a new twist. It seems the trend today is to over-line a rod to get better distance. I don't think you would ever load that rod.

Cliff
Roger S

Post by Roger S »

A lot will have to do with 2 things. One is the rod the other is the caster himself.

I have a Sage XP 8wt that casts a 7wt line like a dream. Will cast the 8 like a cannon and also does a good job with a 9.
I have a Legend Elite 7wt that won't talk to me with a 6 on until I have around 60 feet out. With the 7wt line you'll be holding the backing in your hand after 2 backcasts. With an 8 it starts to get sloppy.

Both are what you could call high end rods but both behave completely differently. Some rods just don't like being underlined and since you are buying not building, I would test cast the rod with the line(s) I plan on using before I were to buy it. If you find a rod that cast like you want buy that rod. There is nothing saying that the same 2 rods side by side will cast the same.

You said that you are exclusive to TFO. A slower action will benefit underlining but that is no guarantee it will work for you.

My .02 so take it for what it is worth.
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

Lots of variables involved. Is the rod a more moderate, rather than fast, tip? Is the line one of the half size heavy ones? How good is your casting stroke?
As said above, bring your reel and try it with the rod you're interested in. Regardless, you would eventually develope a technique to cast the setup. It just may not be pretty, or easy.
Relatively speaking, fly lines are cheap. Buy one that matches the rod.

Kirk B.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

People have under-line and over-line functions generally backwards.
Heavier lines are to have more control in close, giving you higher grain weight in shorter line length.
If they improve your distance, it's because you better feel the heavier line load the rod to improve your timing.

Lighter lines speed up the rod and get you max distance, often sacrificing the ability to cast close.
(this is the whole reason Loomis began the modern trend to under-rate rods, so they would appear faster in Ted Leeson reviews in FR&R)

A buddy from PNW found a 5' Harnell 604 from the early '60s and sent it to me to evaluate - here begins the whole blow-by-blow evaluation comparing similar rods, and using different lines.
https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/ ... 52#p378113
Also took it to Cibolo Creek, though flow was too low for fishing to be good, but it was the best nearby water to try the short fly rod in its best-use element.
https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/ ... 2&start=25
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

WAY back when I managed a shop in Colorado with a big fly fishing department we built rods and sold tons. Especially with the blanks, but also built rods, we would test the spline or strength of the rod. It was a simple devise that the butt end was helps by a dowel on the top and on the bottom and a weight ( it was a specific weight, I think it was 3 grahams?) and it would arc down to the specific line requirement. I don’t know how they do things now but the point is that even though something said it was a 6wt it would test out to a 5 or 4 or 7. Again both blanks and built rods. I could take 3 or 4 rods from the same manufacturer and many times they would test completely different from what their stated line requirement was. So another reason to try a rod before buying and even try another one of the same type. And another reason why if you put a different line on a rod it “seems” to cast better, it’s probably because it is actually the correct line weight.
Remember that it is the heavier line that is penetrating the wind or carry the heavier bulky fly. The rod is just giving more guts to push that line out. You can go heavier it will just be slower and not what you are used to.
Basically there is no right or wrong answer you just have to see what works for you, your rod and your conditions.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

except that thinner lines cut the wind better than thicker lines, while the faster set-up also gives you tighter loops (also cuts the wind better)

Yes, heavier lines will better turn over over-sized flies. (and you can still adjust leader to get this on the lighter line)