Sweet Southeast winds wading the surf

OldTownYakBoi

Sweet Southeast winds wading the surf

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Where: Galveston Beach Surf
When : 08/08
Time : 9:30 - 11:30

Today I slept in until about 8am, rolled over and checked the surf cam to see some decent looking water. The wind gods must’ve listened to my last report bc we’ve been blessed with some sweet sweet Southeast winds. This was all I needed to know, i was headed to the surf! I took my time getting my things together and having coffee before hitting the door.

I arrived at the Seawall and started fishing the first gut with my favorite soft plastic (Norton Bull minnow Chartreuse w/ black specks). After about 15 min of no bites I head to the 2nd sandbar where immediately can see the silver flash of spotted sea trout darting back and fourth chasing forage. I proceeded for the next hour to throw every profile and color of soft plastics at them that I had in my box with no hits. By this time I’m getting a little frustrated because the school is still stacked up in front of me feeding.

Finally, I found the juice, a chartreuse Mirrodine. I was getting hit on just about every 3-4 casts. 1 big trout early on absolutely smoked me after I got him close to the net, he made a strong run an came un pinned. All in all a quick fun morning. Now I have plenty of fillets for a family fish taco dinner. The fish were extremely picky today, I had to really work them to find what they wanted. If you have anytime off the next few days I would definitely try to make a trip to the surf, gotta get the getting when the gettin is good!

Observations: I’ve caught my biggest trout and had my best days (number wise) in the surf on suspending twitch baits of varying sizes. These baits absolutely kill trout and are one hell of a good time to fish with. I would say that I get just as much of a thrill out of getting smoked on a twitch bait as I do getting a big top water blow up. It’s easily one of the most fun ways to catch fish. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Sweet Southeast winds wading the surf

Post by Ron Mc »

great report - thanks for posting
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Wow! Glad you joined this web group!
What a great report to get us into the briny surf... Your photos speak for themselves.

Enjoyed your description of lures used and what worked. I'm lucky to have Mirrodines and Corkies in those colors.

Keep 'em coming. Fresh surf reports always welcomed.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Dandydon wrote:Wow! Glad you joined this web group!
What a great report to get us into the briny surf... Your photos speak for themselves.

Enjoyed your description of lures used and what worked. I'm lucky to have Mirrodines and Corkies in those colors.

There’s just something about chartreuse that trout love. As I type this I’m sitting on the beach enjoying the sunset. Image

The swells and the winds have both picked up considerably. This morning it was a direct southeast at about 5mph and provided stained green water. This evening it has shifted to more of a south wind, I’d say it’s a steady 15 right now which has also made the water just dirty enough for a tough bite. Look for a window of light southeast wind anywhere from 5-10 for the best luck. Moving water doesn’t hurt either but doesn’t need to be extreme.

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Dandydon wrote:Wow! Glad you joined this web group!

Thanks Don, the surf has portentously you be so much fun. There is just something special about being in the water doing battle in the fishes environment.My PB trout came from the surf just this summer on a large twitch bait around the same time of day that 930-noon slot, been productive for me.

mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Thanks for the report. Wading the surf is my second love to yak fishing. In fact, a few of my reports from earlier this year start with a yak and finish in the surf. And I agree, you gotta’ hit it when it’s good.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Enjoyed your report and pictures! Thanks for posting and sharing. Nice haul of fish as well. I haven't been surf fishing in a while but will go sometime next year for sure. Good job! :clap:
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

mwatson71 wrote:Thanks for the report. Wading the surf is my second love to yak fishing. In fact, a few of my reports from earlier this year start with a yak and finish in the surf. And I agree, you gotta’ hit it when it’s good.
Np! What I love most about wading the surf is just the simplicity of it. Early summer is prime time for big surf trout and clean water!The past 2 summers I caught my biggest trout in June. This big girl is my PB right at 27”caught June 2nd this yearImage
. She was released healthy to grow bigger for me to catch again! Sorry had to crop this one out of fear of giving away my honey hole

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

kickingback wrote:Enjoyed your report and pictures! Thanks for posting and sharing. Nice haul of fish as well. I haven't been surf fishing in a while but will go sometime next year for sure. Good job! :clap:
You should definitely do it, with the right conditions it’s a blast. A great way to beat the heat as well!

Wag

Post by Wag »

Ah, sweet report. The surf in a sustained SE wind is my favorite. Forgive me but I love to cast live shrimp under a popping cork out to the second trough. The swells and breakers hide the cork for an instant, then a big fish grabs it. Nothing like a a big speck in the surf.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Wag wrote:Ah, sweet report. The surf in a sustained SE wind is my favorite. Forgive me but I love to cast live shrimp under a popping cork out to the second trough. The swells and breakers hide the cork for an instant, then a big fish grabs it. Nothing like a a big speck in the surf.
You can never go wrong with live shrimp! I agree, a spec in the surf just fights different

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I have never done well in the surf, but I chalk that up to the science of it all and my crappy attitude. Picking the right location and structure appears to be key, and I am not that adept at reading the surf to do that. Beyond that, I don't like getting hit by waves as I am fishing. It pisses me off, and my attitude changes to negative, which is never good when fishing.

Perhaps one day I will have a day like you have discussed, and maybe I will change my view. Until then, thanks for a great report and cool pictures.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

shoffer wrote:I have never done well in the surf, but I chalk that up to the science of it all and my crappy attitude. Picking the right location and structure appears to be key, and I am not that adept at reading the surf to do that. Beyond that, I don't like getting hit by waves as I am fishing. It pisses me off, and my attitude changes to negative, which is never good when fishing.

Perhaps one day I will have a day like you have discussed, and maybe I will change my view. Until then, thanks for a great report and cool pictures.
The fish definitely hold to certain bottom contours, if you can find some guts that are deeper than the average ones around try and target those. I’ve been fishing the same exact hole for 3 summers now and it’s still produces almost exclusively keepers and your occasional gator. When you find a good hole, fish will continue to come back there until a storm or some kind of structure change occurs. Ya it sucks to get hammered by waves, but you just have to laugh at yourself.

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

I checked the cams early this morning and it was calm enough I decided to go take a look. I cruised the Seawall with pole in hand, but couldn’t find any clean water to justify me getting wet. We still have that stained brown water. Using the app “Windy” it doesn’t look like we will be getting good surf conditions until around mid week next week. Patience for the sweet southeast!