Galveston Bay Birthday Triple limit

OldTownYakBoi

Galveston Bay Birthday Triple limit

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Where : Galveston Bay
When. : 08/09
Time : 5 am - 9 am

Last night I was wondering what I should do for my birthday and instead of a night out on the town I opted for an early morning session. The wind was coming at about 10mph out of the SSE with a slight outgoing tide.

I arrived at the launch and was in the water by 5:15, the plan was to fish a few lights before sunrise and then hit some points.Image

As I approached the first light I could see bait activity a began throwing a glow vudu shad.
For the next hour I was getting bumps on just about every cast but you could tell they were dinks. Pullled in two that couldn’t have been more than 10 inches. I was ready for something other than drinks come sunrise so I began the pedal to my first spot. Upon arrival I can see minor bait activity and begin to throw. Within about 20 minutes I had my first keeper in the boat at 7am. Image
Strangely enough, after I landed this guy I couldn’t get touched for about 30-40 minutes, so I changed lures. Funny story, the plastic that I put on I found in my grandpas old bass lure collection after he passed that has to be at least 10 years old. I’ve never heard of the company, but they are “Charlie’s Worms”. It is a slow sinking twitch bait, and as soon as I put it on I was getting smoked on every cast.Image

I need up landing anywhere from 15-20 trout in the 14-15 range and hit a triple limit by 9am. I ended up bringing home a limit of trout all 16-18”. What an awesome start to my 28th birthday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mwatson71

Re: Galveston Bay Birthday Triple limit

Post by mwatson71 »

Congrats and Happy Birthday. That's a heck of a way to start it for sure.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

mwatson71 wrote:Congrats and Happy Birthday. That's a heck of a way to start it for sure.
Thank you! It was a great time, didn’t see a single PB either. There was a dolphin out there that was circling the shoreline about every 20 minutes, I keep wondering if that’s partly why the trout held so close to it.

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Hey OTYB! Happy birthday, son! Not even 30 yet and racking up triple limits like an old salt.
Yessir!

Your reports are fun and informative. Keep up the great work.

If you want to join the Hobie Navy for a night trip, let us (me, Shoffer, Watson & Kickingback) know. Maybe we could even teach YOU a thing or two. I hosted A TKF NIGHTTIME TOURNAMENT a couple years ago that had this board buzzing. That's how Shoffer & I met Watson & KB, also Yakrunabout, Yakety Yak & the legendary Pole Position, who won the tournament. What a night that was!

Fishing isn't only catching fish; it's also meeting new people and sharing the joy. We usually split up and explore our own canals until somebody radios the ACTION is ON and where!

Come join us when Capt. Shoffer announces our next yak assault, probably within a week or so.

- - Dandydon, Esq. Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Dandydon wrote:Hey OTYB! Happy birthday, son! Not even 30 yet and racking up triple limits like an old salt.
Yessir!

Your reports are fun and informative. Keep up the great work.

If you want to join the Hobie Navy for a night trip, let us (me, Shoffer, Watson & Kickingback) know. Maybe we could even teach YOU a thing or two. I hosted A TKF NIGHTTIME TOURNAMENT a couple years ago that had this board buzzing. That's how Shoffer & I met Watson & KB, also Yakrunabout, Yakety Yak & the legendary Pole Position, who won the tournament. What a night that was!

Fishing isn't only catching fish; it's also meeting new people and sharing the joy. We usually split up and explore our own canals until somebody radios the ACTION is ON and where!

Come join us when Capt. Shoffer announces our next yak assault, probably within a week or so.

- - Dandydon, Esq. Image

Hahah thanks, I enjoy making the reports, it’s good fun and is something I can refer to at later date to see what was working that time of year. Today was definitely a good one, it’s days like today that keep you coming back. I’d definitely be up for some tips and a night trip, always fun fishing the lights!

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

That's a helluva of a birthday trip. Nice job.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Neumie wrote:That's a helluva of a birthday trip. Nice job.
You know sometimes the conditions just line up and you get a little lucky. I had a blast catching all morning, best birthday gift I could’ve asked for. Thanks

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

OTYB, your happy warrior attitude is good and you obviously know how to catch fish. That qualifies you to join the Hobie Navy for fishing trips.

But can you go during the week or at night? I'm a retired lawyer, so can go fishing anytime. Captains Shoffer and Watson are busy working attorneys, so I like to go when they can break away to fish. Kickingback is a self-employed entrepreneur who has an incredible Garmin Scope fish-finder mounted on his Pro Angler. These days we enjoy going at night to beat the heat.

I'll send you a Private Message invitation next time we go kayak-fishing. Hope you can join in the fun and catching!

"Let's go GET SOME." Image

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

happy birthday, great results and thanks for the photos - well, except DD's :mrgreen:
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Dandydon wrote:OTYB, your happy warrior attitude is good and you obviously know how to catch fish. That qualifies you to join the Hobie Navy for fishing trips.

But can you go during the week or at night? I'm a retired lawyer, so can go fishing anytime. Captains Shoffer and Watson are busy working attorneys, so I like to go when they can break away to fish. Kickingback is a self-employed entrepreneur who has an incredible Garmin Scope fish-finder mounted on his Pro Angler. These days we enjoy going at night to beat the heat.

I'll send you a Private Message invitation next time we go kayak-fishing. Hope you can join in the fun and catching!

"Let's go GET SOME." Image

Well right now I can go whenever, any day any time... Before COVID I was an engineering planner at an oil and gas company, but was laid off during all this. So for the time being being my only job is to catch a 10lb trout or tagged redfish Image

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote:happy birthday, great results and thanks for the photos - well, except DD's :mrgreen:
Thank you!

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I'll back up and say i loved DD's first light photo.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

The pan fried trout from my birthday dinner with friends. Actually made fish tacos with black bean corn salsa but was too hungry to get a picImage

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

beauty - I have a 15" paella pan I use for sauteing trout fillets, too

also have a grill saute pan - I cure it with spray grapeseed oil.
(these are slot snook from far south, but made it home in the ice water - the only snook I've eaten, had to try it - it's everything they say)
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote:beauty - I have a 15" paella pan I use for sauteing trout fillets, too

(these are slot snook from far south, but made it home in the ice water)
Is that the paella pan in the pic? That fish looks tasty

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote:beauty - I have a 15" paella pan I use for sauteing trout fillets, too

(these are slot snook from far south, but made it home in the ice water)
Is that the paella pan in the pic? That fish looks tasty

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

no friend, that's the grill saute.
here's the paella pan hanging by some Dziuk's venison sausage
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote:no friend, that's the grill saute.
here's the paella pan hanging by some Dziuk's venison sausage
Oh gotcha, thanks. I haven’t heard anything about the taste of snook since we don’t have them here on the upper coast. Are they as good as trout?

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

best food I've ever eaten, including trout and flounder
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Ron, that captain photo was taken under extreme prejudice after a night of sweet love and strong smoke...

I wanted to give Yak Boi a look so he'd know who we were at our nighttime launch of choice, likely Sea Isle or Pirate's Cove at Waterman's Restaurant. Of course you & the rest are invited, too. I'll PM you! OK, please call Shoffer if you want to join us.

We're all getting tired of landing irritating, flopping dinks. Wish I could fry up those 13-inchers. Delicious. Perhaps the Yak Boi in his youthful wisdom can find us some legal gamefish.

Hope you've got a marine radio! We tend to trade information and talk shit. In the company of 3 lawyers, none of it will be recorded or used against you. Yes, we catch a few and have a blast. Let's roll.

Watch for the nighttime skylit Hobie symbol!
The Gipper needs some Trout! Image

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

DD thanks for the breakfast laugh - that was fun.
btw, all my buddies have caught up on radios now. I'm glad Steve picked up an SH HX890 - he'll work out the GPS+DSC and keep track of all of us.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Dandydon wrote:Ron, that captain photo was taken under extreme prejudice after a night of sweet love and strong smoke...

I wanted to give Yak Boi a look so he'd know who we were at our nighttime launch of choice, likely Sea Isle or Pirate's Cove at Waterman's Restaurant. Of course you & the rest are invited, too. I'll PM you! OK, please call Shoffer if you want to join us.

We're all getting tired of landing irritating, flopping dinks. Wish I could fry up those 13-inchers. Delicious. Perhaps the Yak Boi in his youthful wisdom can find us some legal gamefish.

Hope you've got a marine radio! We tend to trade information and talk shit. In the company of 3 lawyers, none of it will be recorded or used against you. Yes, we catch a few and have a blast. Let's roll.

Watch for the nighttime skylit Hobie symbol!
The Gipper needs some Trout! Image

The comment about sweet love and strong smoke ImageImage. I don’t have a radio, but I’ll grab one, been meaning to get one anyway. The dinks have been relentless in that sea isle area, I’ve only caught a handful of keepers there. I credit it to that whole are being nothing more than yet one huge shallow flat; The key to finding those summertime trout is to find deeper water, which is very tough to find in West Bay. Galveston Bay offers more depth for these fish to stay cool. Now that’s not to say there aren’t a slew of nice ones in that area, but I sure as hell haven’t been able to find them!

YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Great report - congrats on all the action, good to hear that some bigger trout are being found.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

YakRunabout wrote:Great report - congrats on all the action, good to hear that some bigger trout are being found.
Thanks! It’s definitely tough finding them, the bite has been early and quick. During the summer I I’ll target them in deeper water with sharp drop offs, but my go to in this heat is the surf. Unfortunately the light southeast winds that bring the green water have been absent most of the summer. I’m ready for some cooler temps and I’m sure the trout are as well

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

One thing good about the Sea Isle "flats" is that there is a drop-off area beyond the pier toward those shell islands. According to my paddle depth finder, it drops from 3 to about 5 feet. Sometimes you'll see crab traps lined up along there.

That's where I look for Trout when the sun comes up. Last fall with Kickingback I landed a solid 24" speck over there casting a white 4"Norton Sand Eel, Jr. That was big fun.

Hope is what keeps us coming back.