Baitcaster gear ratios

WC53

Baitcaster gear ratios

Post by WC53 »

Thinking of trying a high speed 8.2 reel for topwater and jig heads. Any thoughts from the experts on gear ratios
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Baitcaster gear ratios

Post by Neumie »

My baitcasters are 7.5:1 (I think, 7.X:1 for sure). I'm not sure I'd want to go faster since working topwaters (or any other suspending twitchbait; ie TS GrassWalkers) requires some slack in the line in order to properly work them; even for accounting for the drift speed of your kayak while fishing. If you're already throwing a higher speed reel then maybe the adjustment to the even higher speed will be nominal.
WC53

Post by WC53 »

Thanks, I have a couple 7.5 as a mainly throw light stuff and a low 6 for cranks.. I tend to have a stuck in first retrieve speed:)
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

On my one baitcaster rod (for saltwater, I have many for Bass fishing), it's like a 6.4:1 or 6.5:1 gear ratio. I'm going to have to get one of these higher ratio reels to try out.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

WC53 wrote:Thinking of trying a high speed 8.2 reel for topwater and jig heads. Any thoughts from the experts on gear ratios
I think the high gear ratio reels were meant more for Bass fishing, but I own one and enjoy it. It’s a Curado with a similar gear ratio to the one listed, I use it for plastics and twitch baits mainly. Having said that I think I prefer a 7.5 for saltwater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk