TPWD Lighthouse Lakes Paddling Trail & Markers in Google Maps

Neumie
Site Admin

TPWD Lighthouse Lakes Paddling Trail & Markers in Google Maps

Post by Neumie »

A fellow TKF'er reached out to me to see if a LHL paddling trail map existed in Google Maps. To my knowledge one did not so I whipped one out real quick.

Here's the link: TPWD Lighthouse Lakes Marker & Trail Map

Hope this helps some folks.
TexasJim

Re: TPWD Lighthouse Lakes Paddling Trail & Markers in Google Maps

Post by TexasJim »

Josh, you NEVER cease to amaze me. But, I'm always impressed. Thanks for all your hard work to help us duffers.
TexasJim
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Was a project of Slowride's son when his son was in the Boy Scouts.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Follow up question. Is there an indicator at the launch sites to know when it is deep enough to paddle so you're not hiking and dragging your kayak on the trail?

It's the next area I want to explore in the AP/PA area but after failing to get out of Saint Mary's Bayou this past winter just because I didn't realize how high the water needed to be, I would like to avoid situations like that.

For me I could look on the south side of 361 and make see how high the water is but it could be good information for others.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

ben_beyer wrote:Follow up question. Is there an indicator at the launch sites to know when it is deep enough to paddle so you're not hiking and dragging your kayak on the trail?

It's the next area I want to explore in the AP/PA area but after failing to get out of Saint Mary's Bayou this past winter just because I didn't realize how high the water needed to be, I would like to avoid situations like that.

For me I could look on the south side of 361 and make see how high the water is but it could be good information for others.
There's no gauge or tide marker at any of the entrances, so you'll need to reference the Port Aransas Tide Gauge.

Above 1' MLLW you'll be OK throughout LHL. Between 0.75' - 1' MLLW most of the lakes should hold enough water to paddle but some may be too shallow. Between 0.5' - 0.75' MLLW stick to the deeper parts of the flats adjacent to entrances and don't venture too far into the lake system. Below 0.5' MLLW head to South Bay, B&R Flats, or anywhere else with deeper water.
Saltstalker

Post by Saltstalker »

Yeah , I make my own maps also. Nice !
spiny norman
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by spiny norman »

Absolutely check the tides before heading into the back of LHL. It's a long hike out when dragging a kayak.

Don't ask how I know. :roll: :lol:
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Water levels are still pretty high from the hurricane. But, you never really know until you go.
Asalgado

Post by Asalgado »

Are there any recommended areas to camp overnight near lighthouse trails?
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Asalgado wrote:Are there any recommended areas to camp overnight near lighthouse trails?
Right now you'll be hard pressed to find enough dry land for a tent. You can't overnight camp within the park area of Lighthouse Lakes Park. Anywhere else along 361 between AP and the ferry is fair game other than the obvious private property. paddling in and camping on spoil islands would be difficult due to high waters, but maybe along the quarantine shoreline.
Asalgado

Post by Asalgado »

Cool, I always appreciate your help. Im trying to do a BTB trip thursday morning. You interested or know anyone going BTB?
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Asalgado wrote:Are there any recommended areas to camp overnight near lighthouse trails?
Cheapest camp site to Light House lakes is Fin and Feather RV park. Myself I would be leery camping along 361.
Asalgado

Post by Asalgado »

I think im just going to camp on the beach and fish mustang island area, croaker hole, pink shack cove. Any experience/luck in those areas?
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Asalgado wrote:I think im just going to camp on the beach and fish mustang island area, croaker hole, pink shack cove. Any experience/luck in those areas?
I would check with the city and make sure camping on the beach is allowed at this point. Things are still a bit wonky with covid restrictions.

Croaker Hole is very difficult to get to since the access point halfway down Wilson's Cut is no longer an option. Since the only option to launch is now at the end of Wilson's cut, you'd have to paddle the entire length to Corpus Christi Bay then paddle south and entire those water via Boot Cove.

Make sure to scout the access to Wilson's Cut, we've had prolonged high tides due to storms and what not so the roads leading back may not be in the best of conditions.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I can think of a lot of reasons to paddle with friends, but one of the better is splitting the cost of a cheap fishing shack overnight.
Asalgado

Post by Asalgado »

I just read on Visit Corpus website the beaches are currently open for camping, not being from the area im guessing beach access is available?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Bird Island Basin in PINS is a great place to camp and launch a kayak to fish Upper Laguna Madre
https://www.nps.gov/pais/planyourvisit/camping.htm