Wilderness Systems vs. Hobie vs. Old town

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Wilderness Systems vs. Hobie vs. Old town

Post by Ron Mc »

I wasn't complaining, except maybe now you make it look too easy. 8)
and that's the way with all honed skills.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Prof. Salt wrote:You're right Ron, and for me that's a good reason to leave them up. We all learn and develop skills while we gain experience. Some of the new guys developing their skills have access to the "before I figured this out" videos, both for a laugh and also to learn. If we can't laugh at ourselves, we are taking life too seriously.
Prof, If we all learn and develop skills while we gain experience, why is it that I kept on hitting every other permit I cast to on the head?

If we didn't laugh at ourselves, about half of life's fun times wouldn't exist. In a world gone daft with senseless absurdities, go back and read some Camus, Dostoyevski, and Browning to revive your sense of humour.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Good advice!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

life might be smoother if we didn't have so much to laugh about. :mrgreen:
TarponTime

Post by TarponTime »

Prof. Salt wrote:
shoffer wrote:And here is a question for you - what is the day job of Prof. Salt?
I'm an Associate Professor of Surgical Technology and the Allied Health Department Chair at Del Mar College. I got the nickname as a mix of my day job and my love of paddling in the salt. For the record, I'm not AI or even half robot. :D Just so the new guys know.

I think the question was for the alleged bot. Now everyone please tell us what you do. Come on man.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

It was, of course, directed to the elusive poster with multiple names. Anyone who has been on this board knows what Professor Salt does during the day when he is not on the water slaying kings and reds (and hitting the white bass run every now and then). But even someone with half a brain could have offered an educated guess and said "Professor?"

But as I ponder the situation, shall we make room for the fact that our three-named poster might have a mental disability or might be on the spectrum? If that's the case, then I regret being so hard on this person, and it might explain some of the odd behavior.

And, to answer Tarpon Time's question, I am a commercial litigation/labor and employment/intellectual property attorney who tries lawsuits for business entities mostly, which explains why I say that if the original poster is not disabled in some way, I have to admit that I do like the controversy. Reminds me of the old days around here.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

and I wasn't chiding you - we all had reason to be creeped-out by that two day random search-copy-paste-brain-dump (functioned exactly like a bot) until our moderator took control of the situation. I'll still vote for threads about actual kayak and fishing topics based on members' experience.

Metallurgist, PE and corrosion engineer - consultant.
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: Wilderness Systems vs. Hobie vs. Old town

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Prof. Salt wrote:
shoffer wrote:And here is a question for you - what is the day job of Prof. Salt?
I'm an Associate Professor of Surgical Technology and the Allied Health Department Chair at Del Mar College. I got the nickname as a mix of my day job and my love of paddling in the salt. For the record, I'm not AI or even half robot. :D Just so the new guys know.
You got sure are not a robot. I am under orders from the admin not to post for two weeks(new topics)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
2 Weight Willie

shoffer wrote:It was, of course, directed to the elusive poster with multiple names. Anyone who has been on this board knows what Professor Salt does during the day when he is not on the water slaying kings and reds (and hitting the white bass run every now and then). But even someone with half a brain could have offered an educated guess and said "Professor?"

But as I ponder the situation, shall we make room for the fact that our three-named poster might have a mental disability or might be on the spectrum? If that's the case, then I regret being so hard on this person, and it might explain some of the odd behavior.

And, to answer Tarpon Time's question, I am a commercial litigation/labor and employment/intellectual property attorney who tries lawsuits for business entities mostly, which explains why I say that if the original poster is not disabled in some way, I have to admit that I do like the controversy. Reminds me of the old days around here.
Oh yes I have lots of disabilities;) (none. Not at all) but the name change was for the "bot issue " which really wasn't smart assuming that my name would have been changed on my post. And yes I know prof. Stands for professor and I said no because I had no idea he was a user. I thought it was just some random person. Sorry. But not. I am not special ed.

2 Weight Willie

How do yall have those jobs(no offense) but really I expected ya'll to be guides, or professional yo-yoingers, or thermocline reporters. I don't know, but ya'll know ALOT more about fishing than me.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

many of us were fishing hard at a younger age than you are now, and honestly, making a living at fishing wasn't as promising as it is now.
Thinking like a fish isn't all that difficult - the smartest has an IQ of 12.
We've paid our dues, put in the hours, though I'll admit, from 12-y-o, I had a natural skill at reading water. I've just always had the ability if there's a fish there, I'll catch it.
The most important skill you can apply is stealth.
No time on the water is wasted, because of what you see, hear, feel, and take in.
I've always found the best way to remember what I did is to take a camera along.
Here I'm taking Kevin Townsend after Guadalupe bass, filming an episode of KT Diaries, and my buddy Jimbo has the still camera.
Another smart move, make good fishing friends.

Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

2 Weight Willie

Ron Mc wrote:...
That sounds like my dad. He and my uncle should have been guides

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

You have to want to be a guide - it really cuts in on your fishing, because you're putting somebody else on fish, and responsible for his success.

Probably where I learned more about the hill country, planning with weather and USGS links was running a fly fishing life group from my church for 5 years. Twice a month, took four to 14 people fly fishing somewhere in the hill country.

something about my job, it got me to Alaska to fish just about every week of the summer - I can guide the Russian River, and did guide my buddy on Kenai when he flew up to join me after a work gig.
2 Weight Willie

Ron Mc wrote:You have to want to be a guide - it really cuts in on your fishing, because you're putting somebody else on fish, and responsible for his success.

Probably where I learned more about the hill country, planning with weather and USGS links was running a fly fishing life group from my church for 5 years. Twice a month, took four to 14 people fly fishing somewhere in the hill country.

something about my job, it got me to Alaska to fish just about every week of the summer - I can guide the Russian River, and did guide my buddy on Kenai when he flew up to join me after a work gig.
Wow...

2 Weight Willie

Ron Mc wrote:You have to want to be a guide - it really cuts in on your fishing, because you're putting somebody else on fish, and responsible for his success.

Wow...