LHL, report

Tombo

LHL, report

Post by Tombo »

Yesterday, went fishing as I was invited to tag along. Launched around 11:30 AM, sunny but cool, tide was going out and water levels were way down. The whole time I paddled I was scraping the bottom. But, we found Redfish. This was a day where standing was a distinct advantage. The fish i saw were just cruising around , most of them i spooked before I laid eyes on them. The one's I did not spook were not interested in anything I had (various Gulp plastics). My fishing partner managed three Redfish to 26" using a Saltwater Assassin 5" paddle tail rigged with a weedless swim hook. Highlight for me was what I thought was a small dolphin in couple inches of water. Turned out to be a large Black Drum cruising the 5" water getting a suntan. I paddled up to it within paddle length as it rested. Never did move, just chilling hoping a kayak would not bother it.
Attachments
P1030020.JPG
P1030015.JPG
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: LHL, report

Post by Ron Mc »

hate scraping oyster shell, but love redfish with their backs out of the water.
Excellent job - thanks for posting.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Tombo wrote:Yesterday, went fishing as I was invited to tag along. Launched around 11:30 AM, sunny but cool, tide was going out and water levels were way down. The whole time I paddled I was scraping the bottom. But, we found Redfish. This was a day where standing was a distinct advantage. The fish i saw were just cruising around , most of them i spooked before I laid eyes on them. The one's I did not spook were not interested in anything I had (various Gulp plastics). My fishing partner managed three Redfish to 26" using a Saltwater Assassin 5" paddle tail rigged with a weedless swim hook. Highlight for me was what I thought was a small dolphin in couple inches of water. Turned out to be a large Black Drum cruising the 5" water getting a suntan. I paddled up to it within paddle length as it rested. Never did move, just chilling hoping a kayak would not bother it.
Cool pictures. That black drum looks like a tank. Looks like the water level is pretty low on your side as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Nice pics of the red! Some interesting sights during low water even if fishing is a struggle.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Tombo: Watched your partner's video. I fish that opening off the channel in my skiff, but don't venture much past there. When the tide's incoming or outgoing with some speed, there's usually stalking fish there.
I like his videos. He's not trying to sell you anything, just sharing good info. I've fished some of his spots with better results than my norm. Thanks, to y'all. TexasJim
bones72

Post by bones72 »

The black drum were definitely active when I was down last Saturday-Monday in the Baffin Bay area. Caught two in this size range and probably another fifteen or so in the 16 to 17 inch range. Also caught a few sheepshead , and hoards of nursery trout and just under reds. Was hoping to get out in my yak but my fishing partner does not have one yet and the wind would have precluded any thoughts of even attempting it.
Add description
Add description
black drum.jpg (17.05 KiB) Viewed 5055 times
tito82x

Post by tito82x »

Nice catch! That out of Kaufer pier?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

you look good with a big drum - perfect match
Now you need one that size on a fly rod.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Ron Mc wrote:you look good with a big drum - perfect match
Now you need one that size on a fly rod.
Years ago I caught a Black drum on a 6wt, estimate at 40#. But, it never did pull any drag. Guessing it was on its last leg.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

how about that.
I got a big one off the beach in Lydia Ann that beat me up.
Another, Fence Lake, 25"er was probably my best fly rod experience. The fish headed out of there, stopped, turned, charged, turned - really kept me on my toes and wasn't going to quit until one of us was unconscious.
bones72

Post by bones72 »

Yep Kaufer pier. Wish that had been a flyrod catch and as thick as the drum were that evening it would have been an evening to do that but the wind was blowing over 30. So far on the fly have gotten trout to 14 and 3/4, sheepshead to 17 and so many mangrove snapper its just ridiculous. The sheepshead, small trout and mangroves all love that little UV glue shrimp I do; so much so I have had to do another two dozen. They have preferred the clear ones over the olive but both have worked.
Add description
Add description
After a half dozen sheepshead they are toast. The only unfortunate thing about that fly is that the ribbon fish and big pin fish devour them too. May be how I am fishing them as a dropper fly under a shrimp popper.
Add description
Add description
Top Water Shrimp.jpg (17.65 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
Hopefully with cooler water the trash fish wont be around.

I cant wait to get down there again. I want to try for pompano off the jetties with a sandflea fly.
Add description
Add description
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Nice flies. Thanks for the report and photos.