As green as they come

DavidN

As green as they come

Post by DavidN »

I would like to introduce myself. I am David and live in outside of Austin area. I am brand new to kayaking, as in I have never sat on or in one before. I have been wanting to get on the water for a long time and get passed the constraints of bank fishing. After eons of reading, thinking and getting the wife to go along with spending the money on a boat, I finally pulled the trigger. I wanted something that is good for the lake, river and inshore.
Now that I made up my mind that a kayak is the way to go, I spent countless hours looking at, researching and reading up on kayaks. I preordered a Wilderness Systems Recon 120 and it is supposed to ship on the 29th. I got my paddle, anchor trolley, foam blocks and tie down straps, cart, bed extender, kayak stand, flag/led, milk crate, rod holders and life jacket.
I am anxious to get out on Granger lake and figure out what I am doing so I can load it up and get fishing.
Hoping to learn a lot here.
Cheers
SWFinatic

Re: As green as they come

Post by SWFinatic »

Welcome to the forum and the sport!
impulse

Post by impulse »

My advice: Take the kayak out a few times without the distraction of fishing gear. Keep your wallet, keys, and cell phone in a floating waterproof container (not in your pockets). Avoid the temptation to trust a ziplock bag for your valuables. They will disappoint you the first time they hit water.

Practice paddling, entering and exiting the kayak at your starting point (sounds easy, but it's deceiving), and how to re-enter if you take a spill in deep water (sounds hard, but it's not- after you practice).

Lots of excellent videos on YouTube to guide a noob in outfitting and operating a kayak for various conditions.
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Thanks for the welcomes and the tips. I got a dry pouch and will be going out to the lake empty on my first day will be getting used to paddling, deep water entries, and turtling. Second day out will be the same but with a minimal amount of fishing gear. Granger lake is a stones throw from home and a good place to cut my teeth.

The order for my WS Recon 120 got totally FUBAR'd. Long story short, there are no more available, anywhere. A couple places have like a 30 day wait. So back to the drawing board. As luck would have it, I found the WS ATAK 140 on sale for $100 more. It will be shipping out this week.
Bigshot9002

Post by Bigshot9002 »

I’m also extremely green and have only had my yak for 3 weeks. After searching the entire country high and dry for a yak look at smaller shops. I ordered my native titan from ACK in feb. they kept pushing the date and told me it would be June. I found Ross Motorsports in Lufkin had a showroom floor full yaks and drove over and picked it up. Honestly I was so excited I couldn’t tell you if they carried other brands or not. Somehow when nobody seemed to have any they had a bunch and said they had more coming. Ross is a very small place and they only have one location Just figured I would share my shopping luck and hope you can find what you’re looking for.
Spervis

Post by Spervis »

Welcome to the habit. I started several years ago just like everyone else, searching the internet and watching youtube. Bought stuff I thought I’d use and the next new “gizmo” that everyone has to have. After numerous kayaks of different sorts, today We have 2 Jackson Coosa HD’s, 2 Coosa’s and a Cruise 10 as well as a SUP.
I have narrowed down all the “gizmos” and sold off or given away the stuff I didnt use.
Most of my fishing is in rivers chasing bass. I have one Coosa HD that has an anchor trolley and anchor wizard, Lowrance fish finder and use a Naqua 10ah battery. Typically dont use any of those accessories in the rivers. I’ve had crates of all sorts and dont use any of them anymore. I take a Simms fishing pack with all my tackle, couple of rods and a cooler. Usually nothing much else. We hit south Tx for a Llano River and Devils River trip each year and spend the rest of the time on a couple of rivers in southern Oklahoma making day trips that are close to drive to.
Have an awesome time with the new kayak. Be safe. Catch all you can catch.