Beach time -

YakRunabout

Beach time -

Post by YakRunabout »

Not that sandy beach like Galveston where the sand is imported from somewhere, this is a beach made of the local source - oyster shell and a few other species. The shell is of various sizes depending on how traumatic its life on the beach has been. We landed one afternoon for a few days.
camp -
camp -
I headed off that afternoon so see what I could find. There was fish to be had not far away. Why do they show up when I am not keeping them? I guess word spread that it was a free day and they all showed up. First an undersized flounder, then some fat 17" specs that looked to be much bigger than the tape - 4 in all. A smaller spec and a fairly large sand trout and finished off with a 19" red! All in an hour or so!! What a trip this was going to be!!
Attachments
PA170635.JPG
PA170632.JPG
PA170622.JPG
YakRunabout

Re: Beach time -

Post by YakRunabout »

It was quite a show that night as well -
image11862.jpg
PA170637.JPG
PA170641.JPG
PA180651.JPG
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Fishing was not quite as hot for me after that first afternoon, but I did catch another of those fat specs in the morning. The trip east produced little!. But dinner was great and the moon was on display!
20211018_195050.jpg
20211018_191800.jpg
PA180647.JPG
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

The dawn brought a clear morning along with an early surprise of a catch!!
20211019_073132.jpg
IMG_3912.jpg
Mike found a beast under some dock lights!!!

Another day of exploring but not many fish but a few scattered about.
image12052.jpg
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Another beautiful morning arrived with calm waters,
20211020_073634.jpg
A few more fish -
PA190655.JPG
PA190658.JPG
20211020_075147.jpg
And we headed home relaxed but tired out to the bone!!
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Sounds like a great couple of days. I am envious as I wanted to get out this weekend but other things got in the way. I did manage to get out with my son for a round of golf today. He is consistently sub-90 now, so not too bad for a 14 year old who has been playing just under a year.

I will find my way to the water this week though.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Thanks for the report and photos.
Remember that word gestalt - you found it, bro.
The fish didn't make the trip - the trip made itself.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Don't have any idea where you fished those idyllic days & nights, Ken, but the photos look like paradise.

Sounds like you had loads of fun exploring and then caught some legal gamefish to top it off.

Thanks for the shared experience.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

MW - Golf with your son instead fishing - an easy call, I believe.
When I would return to SoCal on a visit I would often play a round of golf with my Uncle, also my namesake Ken! Those were great times, even though I was more off the course than on since I never played much. He, on the other hand, has played all his life. I remember a few years ago he was pleased that he recently had golfed his age! Pretty good to do at 87! I believe he is still playing now at 90. An excellent activity for a lifetime - sort of like kayak fishing!

Ron - Gestalt of course - I have noted that word and it certainly captures this outing! You should have one yourself coming up soon I believe - I hope that it will fill this category for you and all attending.

DD - Paradise of course - The passage to Shangri La is not too difficult - This was a sandy shore SW of POC. Any sandy shore would likely do, there are plenty of fish in all those waters! We were originally scheduled to go to Panther Point the end of the previous week. The rain and wind on Thursday and the wind on Saturday (both days with winds to 30mph or so) convinced us to delay a few days. We ended with low winds, cool nights, and plenty of fish to satisfy our bellies, if not our taut line battle preference. We also did not travel as far - opting for beaches along the shore of South Pass Lake.

Enjoy -
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks for telling us where you found that paradise, outside of Port O'Connor! Your terrific photos conveyed the beauty at hand.

I can sometimes find paradise in our local bays, but it seems to happen on weekdays when I find fishing spots without other PEOPLE, ha ha.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Great report and photos. Looks relaxing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk