Saved by the birds

OldTownYakBoi

Saved by the birds

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Launched in a Galveston Marsh around 430 PM yesterday. Tides finally are starting to fall, they’ve been extremely high for weeks.

I hunted for reds on the grass line seeing a few blow up sporadically…. But the water was very dirty and a humming south wind made it tough. I fished for an hour and a half with no bites, seeing few fish and fewer baitfish.

As the wind whistled through the line on my rod I spotted a group of about 10 birds approximately 1/2 mile away. Image

I decided to give it a shot knowing it would be dark in 30 or so minutes.

I snuck up on the birds and hooked up on a speckled trout on my first cast. I then proceeded to catch another 4 quick tourist trout before a seagull got tangled in my line. Once that happened the birds all dispersed… But at that point it did not matter, I could see specks busting on top all over. I proceeded to have a field day over the next 20 or 30 minutes catching speckled trout on every cast. I even managed to catch a handful of good fish from the groups.

It was looking like a bust of a trip, but I was saved by the birds! As I peddled back to the launch completely satisfied I caught a great picture of the sunset.

I’m looking for fishing to get better after this front we are getting.

Go get some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasJim

Re: Saved by the birds

Post by TexasJim »

Good job! I've been seeing lots of birds on every fishing trip. BUT, they're standing on the shore or sandbars. Not spotting bait and fish schools for me. TexasJim
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Very inviting photos - thanks for posting.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

TexasJim wrote:Good job! I've been seeing lots of birds on every fishing trip. BUT, they're standing on the shore or sandbars. Not spotting bait and fish schools for me. TexasJim
It’s coming to you soon Jim! I think whatever is happening here on the upper coast ends up happening on the middle and lower coast a few weeks later.

This is really the first I’ve seen of the birds grouping up and working. I think it’s due to the tide finally falling, it’s been very high for weeks

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote:Very inviting photos - thanks for posting.
It was a day well spent!

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

A promising harbinger of things to come! Thanks for the report, Kyle!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Yak Boi saved by the BIRDS??!

Great fishing report, but wait until you hear how Shoffer & I did this afternoon in Greens Lake... The birds saved us, too!

My report is being written now...

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk