Pre-trip Advice?

rasaid

Pre-trip Advice?

Post by rasaid »

I've been targeting dates of June 15-19 with new moon the 18th, to travel for 2 days from Santa Fe, NM to AP to kayak fish. -I haven't been able to get on the water for sometime after relocating from TX to NM.
Can I ask for your comments regarding the weather as I see heat warnings and even so fish-kill notices around Lake Jackson. The wind forecast looks a bit high too.
I love to kayak fish but it's a looong drive and any advice is appreciated!
Roger
wittich

Re: Pre-trip Advice?

Post by wittich »

Right now the weather does not look great, but I feel the predictions are not really that accurate so far in advance. I would wait a couple more days and then decide, maybe start thinking about plan B.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Yeah, bad timing. Sustained 20mph and gusting up to 30 is not something I'd fish. I assume you're talking about bay fishing, not offshore which will definitely not be doable with surf up to 5 ft.

The forecast from now through end of week is enough sustained high winds, it's probably not going to significantly change in next two days for your decision making.

I'm not sure on fish kills, but on top of the unfavorable weather, around Port A, the fishing has been a bit challenging if you just go to your normal spots. The water level and tide have been super unseasonably high and the water pretty murky.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but just my 2 cents. Like you said its a long drive for what probably will be not very fishable.

To commiserate with you, I was supposed to go to Florida this coming weekend for open of Snapper season there and probably will have to cancel due to the offshore conditions...and we're in a powerboat.

rasaid

Post by rasaid »

So appreciate the responses as it's difficult to assess conditions unless you can see it live and certainly from a fisherman's perspective.
And it is really disappointing to drive for two days and then, no fishing......
I'll continue the keep the fishing window open possibly just postpone the dates.
Thanks again
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Water levels were high a couple of weeks ago but are back to normal again. They should hover around the current levels for a couple of weeks then when the winds die down it will drop out for the summer low tide levels.

Yeah I agree unfortunately inshore kayak fishing will be very challenging for the foreseeable future (10 days or so) due to wind gusts between 23 & 30 mph. Winds should slow down early next month if that helps.
rasaid

Post by rasaid »

The help is invaluable. Thank you.
I'll look again early-mid July. Could someone cool off the Temps when shutting down the wind?
:roll:
wittich

Post by wittich »

It is already hot out here. In July, my fishing is limited to very early morning hours and maybe a 2nd outing in the afternoon. July/ August are my least favorite months to be out in the water in Texas. I would wait until October/ early Nov. Then you could fish all day.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

May is my favorite month and June is my most disliked. Crowds, wind, fish spreading out, and really hot. Of course really good catches can be made, it’s just harder for us humans to handle. If you are looking for all day great kayak fishing Sept-Nov is hard to beat… it’s costal Texas though, the wind, heat, and rain are always lurking around. The winter months in Port Bay can be really good too. Lots of folks Love Jan-Mar… clear water, cool temps, and good amounts of fish. Although a cold front can change all that 😂. Best thing to do if you have time is watch the weather 10 days out and look at moon/tide charts. If you can get the two to match up then call off all normal people duties and head to the coast 👍.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Annual tides are also something to consider.

Tide movement is why so many things happen in the fall.

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

With the high winds and rising temps I’ll be relegated to night fishing. If the winds let up I’ll be on the beach casting plugs… Basically from now until September I’m fishing one of these 2 ways. You won’t find me on the flats unless we get a huge bull tide from a tropical system. My favorite times to kayak fish are the spring and the fall, March-Early June & Mid September- November….

Some of my best trout though have been wading on the sand bars in the surf Jun - Aug with June Full moon getting the nod for producing some great fish.
Attachments
15C29AC3-C367-441F-A729-E47FA0A96335.jpeg
9690537C-5E61-4635-B270-CE4FF5A657D7.jpeg
rasaid

Change of Location

Post by rasaid »

Postponed Coast Trip

Relocated to the Colorado Rockies.
Last edited by rasaid on Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rasaid

Post by rasaid »

Sooo..... With the knowledge you guys provided regarding --high winds, high tides and extreme heat, I drove 2 1/2 hours to the the Conejos River in Southern CO. We fished and camped for 2 days. Highs in the 60s, lows in the 40s. Pretty good place.
ps, only I only caught one brown trout. need.
Still the TX Kayak Fishing Fix!
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

rasaid wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:37 pm Sooo..... With the knowledge you guys provided regarding --high winds, high tides and extreme heat, I drove 2 1/2 hours to the the Conejos River in Southern CO. We fished and camped for 2 days. Highs in the 60s, lows in the 40s. Pretty good place.
ps, only I only caught one brown trout. need.
Still the TX Kayak Fishing Fix!
Those temps sure sound really good! I couldn’t trade them for bay fishing tho lol.