San Angelo area

Yakfishrmn

San Angelo area

Post by Yakfishrmn »

I am relatively new to San Angelo, only been here a few months, and wondering if anyone can point out some good places to fish. I’ve heard good and bad about Lake Nasworthy from a few locals and traveling fishermen. Some have pointed me toward Twin Buttes Reservoir, specifically the south pool with a kayak. I’m sure I’ll eventually try them both and some other water bodies I’ve seen on the map surrounding this area. Of course, input from anyone with experience and who possibly still fishes this area would be helpful.

If I read this right, no one has posted in this West Texas group for a couple of years. Hopefully kayak fishing hasn’t flown south out here…
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: San Angelo area

Post by Neumie »

Although there may not be as much activity now, there's 20+ years of information you can research. Use the search function to the upper right.

Having said that, I can't believe no one said OH Ivie. It has to be the hottest bass lake in Texas, if not the country. That lake is kicking out big bass like crazy. It's worth the short drive.

The South Concho River in Cristoval, Pugh River Park, is hidden gem in west Texas. It has very clear water. Another clear water stream is Spring Creek in Mertzon.

A little farther southeast near Menard is the San Saba River. I've fished this river a few times. Another great river to fish with extremely clear water. West of Menard from Bois D Arc Rd is an excellent launch point. To the east of town off 2092, "5 Mile", is another good launch for going up stream. Not quite as clear water, but I've caught crappie from this stretch.

Spend some time on Google Earth, there quite a few hidden places to kayak.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

We've driven through San Angelo several times on our way west. The kayaking areas are surely well hidden, because I never saw any water near San Angelo. :lol: :lol:
Yakfishrmn

Post by Yakfishrmn »

I appreciate all the information. I also apologize for a late reply, but I didn’t have the email upon reply box checked. I’ve been checking out google earth and looking around the forum already. Certainly going to look up info on OH Ivey too. Now, if all this wind would calm down I’ll have a look in person
Last edited by Yakfishrmn on Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Welcome Yakfishrmn! Mertzon guy here. Spring Creek in Mertzon is a great place to get a start in the area. The creek park is Mertzon is a decent sized impoundment, but it gets fished pretty heavily. Brim’s Crossing on the north side of the park offers access to a large impoundment downstream. On the south border of the park at Harkey’s crossing you will have access to fish upstream. The crossings do have name signs on them.

I’ll stop for now. I anxiously await your linker pics!
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Yakfishrmn wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:48 pm I appreciate all the information. I also apologize for a late reply, but I didn’t have the email upon reply box checked. I’ve been checking out google earth and looking around the forum already. Certainly going to look up info on OH Ivey too. Now, if all this wind would calm down I’ll have a look in person
On windy days, just spend a little seat time in your vehicle scouting launch points.