Saltwater reel repair…

1963Christopher

Saltwater reel repair…

Post by 1963Christopher »

Quantum CT101h PTs, fave salt bait cast reel, has a slipping drag. No matter how much I tighten or loosen, nada… slip slip slip. Was looking to take it in a trip 04/27 but not now. Anyone in HTX proper that has the skill and know how and time to take a look at it this week ? My guess is that it needs a new drag plate. Really not interested in buying a new reel inside of six days.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Saltwater reel repair…

Post by Ron Mc »

Maybe somebody can recommend a good Houston reel repair shop.
https://www.quantumfishing.com/en/suppo ... ice-center

Assuming your clutch is working fine - push the button it freespools, crank the handle, pinion engages and clutch releases fully (usually w/ a 2nd click),

there's not much that can go wrong with a drag stack beyond wearing-thin the abrasive washers.

The principle on every drag stack is the same going back to 1954 Ambassadeur.
The star drag is a nut that tightens on the main shaft to compress the drag stack against the main gear.

You probably want to search out a supplier for carbontex drag washers on ebay.
A search for your reel model didn't turn up a parts match, but contact HP Bearings and see if he can match your reel.
There's a very good chance the same parts on your reel are used on a wide range of brands/models, e.g., made by Doyo in Korea.

This googled-up as your reel schematic
https://www.quantumfishing.com/globalas ... x124mm.pdf

I don't have an LP reel taken apart, but here's the drag stack on a round Tica Caiman
More good advice - as you're going in, take photos, for bread crumbs as you're working your way back together.

Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1963Christopher

Post by 1963Christopher »

I sat in the phone with a very friendly cat at Ron’s Bait and Tackle in CCTX this afternoon, trying to diagnose the problem over the phone (Ron’s is the sole Quantum repair center in Texas). Pulled the spool, checked this and that, etc., and no idea why the drag’s not working. Am going to swing by there Sat morning and see if some hands on action will reveal its dysfunction, It reels in line, but won’t if there’s even the slightest if resistance. We’ll see.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

glad to hear you're making progress, and found the right shop