Fly Rod Size Poll

What size of fly rod (weight) do you use at the coast the majority of the time?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:16 am

6 weight
4%
7 weight
8%
8 weight
71%
9 weight
16%
10 weight
2%

Total votes: 51

Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Fly Rod Size Poll

Post by Lefty Ray »

What size of fly rod (weight) do you use at the coast the majority of the time?
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

8wt St Croix main rod. 5wt St Croix under the lights. 9wt TFO in the wind. The 8wt Gatti that Barry is building will be my main rod. :lol:

fishin'
rds7015

Post by rds7015 »

I fish a 9wt St croix most of the time, with a 5wt St croix under the lights.
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

95% of my fishing is done with an 8 wt, the other 5 is with my 10 wt, but usually around the jetties or near shore. Of the 8 wts. I usually like to carry one with an intermediate line. At times it really comes in handy.
whitebear

Coastal Fly Rod

Post by whitebear »

I presently use an 8 wt. but my goal is to become good enough at casting that I can downsize to a 6 wt. by this summer.
birddogs

Post by birddogs »

8wt and a 5 wt i have a 10wt but only use it if i really have wind. the 10 wt is a real telephone pole
rabbit
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by rabbit »

Why the difference between daylight and under the lights?
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

My go to rod for the TX coast is a 9', 8wgt Gatti. However, if the wind is up higher than usual or I'm throwing some of the heavier Clousers (in the deeper guts and/or channels) I use a rod built on a 8-1/2', Sage RPL+ blank.
Lately, I've been experimenting with a 9', 9wgt. Baston Rainshadow loaded with an 8wgt. line. It might become my go to rod because of its ability to handle a greater range of line weights (7 to 10).
The upside is, it has the versatility to cover the different line weights well. The downside of this combination might be the extra weight. I’ll keep playing with it and let y’all know how it works out.
snookdude
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: RGV-Edinburg, TX. Puro Pinche Bobcats! Now in Pearland TX. Home of the fighting pears.

Post by snookdude »

I use a 7wt Scott most of the time. My 9wt Scott is my jetty rod for sm tarpon and snook. At night under the lights a 5wt is great for casting small beadchain clouser.
Fisherpup

Post by Fisherpup »

9'0" 8wt custom-made Loomis IMX.

I too hope to become a proficient enough caster to use a 6wt.
chavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by chavez »

rabbit wrote:Why the difference between daylight and under the lights?

I'm also curious about the difference. Is it a distance difference or size of fish (like schoolie trout) that you decide to downsize to a 5wt?
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

Using a lightweight rod to catch Trout and Reds in the Salt has nothing to do with ones casting ability. It’s more about ones ability to bring a fish to hand/net as quickly as possible.
If you are planning to release the fish, IMO, in most cases, it's not a good idea, as it takes a little longer to land them (lighter tippet size and lighter rod). This is especially true during the summer when the water temps are high as it puts unnecessary stress on the fish. The Wiz (Bill Harvey) can explain this much better that I can. Your best bet (for the well being of the fish anyway) is to use tackle that allows you to catch and release the fish as quickly as possible.
Small Trout under the lights are one of the exceptions to the above statement. Another exception is, of course, if you plan on keeping them. Although, I’ve found the longer the fish fights, the less quality its flesh has. I think it has to do with a build-up of Lactic Acid due to stress. Bill can explain this also.
A good example of this was a couple of years ago I managed to land a 38” Red with a 6wgt outfit. When I released the fish it swam away and seemed fine. Later on that day we paddled back through the little bay I caught it in and found it on it’s back and barely alive.
Let the flames begin!
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

I've used a 10' 7wgt Loomis until just recently. It worked fine. I replaced it with an 8wt because it was a bit long for kayak fishing.
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

I use a Barry-made Baston Rainshadow 9' (minus 1.5 inches due to a car door) 2pc 8wt. I love it!!!! I have a 5wt Eagle Claw (yes, Lefty, it is a cheap POS but it has a very nice feel to it) that I will use sometimes under the lights. But usually it is just the Baston.

And yes, Chavez, it is because normally under the lights you catch mostly small trout. And boy is it a hoot!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tie up some glo-clousers and work the edge of the everybody's green lights in a canal neighborhood. Just charge up the glo-clouser by holding it in front of your flashlight every few casts. It is sooooooooooo much fun!!!!! And it is the safest paddling you will ever do!!!!! No idiot boaters hauling butt in the canals at night. Just be considerate of landowners who are out there!!!!! I always ask if they mind sharing their lights. I have never had anyone say no. In fact, they are curious about the kayaks and usually visit with you. It makes for a very enjoyable evening when your staying down at the coast.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

glo clouser

Post by Kayak Kid »

Uh oh, just when I thought I knew a bit about fly fishing. What is a glo clouser tied with to make it glo?
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

Uh oh, just when I thought I knew a bit about fly fishing. What is a glo clouser tied with to make it glo?

Why, glow-in-the-dark Flashabou, what else? Available in a variety of colours. There's even glow-in-the-dark chenille, tying thread, and glow-in-the-dark hooks made by Mustad. The fun just goes on forever. :)

M-D
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

Thats it.... Glo Flashabou. I tie them in one color instead of two. I tie a plain white glo and a green glo. I also have pink and orange glo flashabou but I haven't tied any clousers using them yet. I tie my clousers like a crazy charlie but with clouser length wings. I tie everything on top of the eyes with no tail down the hook shank. I call my version crazy clousers because of that. Barry tells me that Bob Clouser ties his clousers that way now too. I will post some pics later.....
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

GoinCoastal wrote:I call my version crazy clousers because of that. Barry tells me that Bob Clouser ties his clousers that way now too. I will post some pics later.....

Joe you ought to call them "crazy glo-joe's".
Your name tag had a hell of a good time at the party. (LOL)
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

I like that, Barry! A "Crazy Glo-Joe" fly. :)

Yep, Joe, your name tag was gluttonous, over-indulged in alcohol, hung around a lot with the weedwhackarita machine, and cavorted with strangers. It had a helluva' good time!

M-D
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

M-D wrote:I like that, Barry! A "Crazy Glo-Joe" fly. :)

Yep, Joe, your name tag was gluttonous, over-indulged in alcohol, hung around a lot with the weedwhackarita machine, and cavorted with strangers. It had a helluva' good time!

M-D

Joe
Yep, that's true. Some of them strangers was even girls. I was shocked and dismayed!!! (LOL)
ziaflyfisherman

Post by ziaflyfisherman »

I use a Sage Rplxi 8 wt most of the time. If the wind is howling I'll put a 9 wt line on it. If I'm fishing for sand trout or speck's I'll drop to a 6 wt Rplxi

Joe
Puck

Fly rod preferred size

Post by Puck »

I use a 10' 9wt that I made for northern pike fishing from a belly boat. I find that the extra length allows me to keep the line off the water while still seated in my kayak.