Crab Flies

SemperFly

Crab Flies

Post by SemperFly »

Has any one had luck with crab flies? Enough that you would use them as your go to lure? I have been tying several different patterns and have not had much success but then again I did not get to fire at a lot of fish this year.

As soon as this knuckle dragger figures out how to post photos I will attach pics.

Anyone have any suggestions/ pics/testimonials?

Semperfly
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

I have not tried them but there are plenty of signs in the flats that the crabs are being eaten very often. Little bits and pieces of crunched bones and shell. I would also think that the crab fly would be good for the black drum but haven't seen any posts to that effect.

fishin'
Chip Pitcairn

Post by Chip Pitcairn »

I use a crab colored fly ( orange and blue) as one of my favorites. True crab imitations are so bulky that I don't like to cast them if I can help it.
Chip Pitcairn
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

Chip - Do you have any photos and/or instructions for this crab colored fly?
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

The top two in the trio were tied by Rosario at Angler's Edge. The bottom one I made up myself. Way too detailed, but fun to make.
Attachments
crab trio.JPG
Scott's crab.JPG
landlocked

Post by landlocked »

The kwan fly is an awesome crab fly. I use it in the keys alot but I have not tried them down in Texas. It is a bonefish slayer an I'm sure they would work on reds just as well.
daiishi 2546 sz 4,6
bead chain eyes
tail-poly bear in tan,brown etc.
body-sparkle yarn brown and tan alternated to fill the distance from eyes to tail
weedguard if desired
I've used the rubber legs on this fly also
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

landlocked
The Kwan works here as does the Merkin (the Kwan is just a Merkin with a tail), if you can keep them from hanging up in the grass. I've caught Reds and Trout on both of them, but they're a pain in the a** to fish down here because of that. If I had to choose between the crab/kwan flys or a Voodoo Child, the VC would win every time.
Just my .02 cents.
FLYYAK

b

Post by FLYYAK »

Hey Barry me to. :roll: :D
Fisherpup

This looks likea pretty cool pattern.

Post by Fisherpup »

Chip Pitcairn

Post by Chip Pitcairn »

Goincoastal, it's tied withbed chain or lead eyed over the bend of the hook. The tail is orange/red foxtail. I have also tied it with a chartruse
fox tail. Ididn't tie these two I bought them from Rockport Kayak Outfitters. I missed you in AP last weekend, I wish you could have come.
Chip Pitcairn
Attachments
2004-01-07 001.JPG
2004-01-07 003.JPG
Bluffer
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Bluffer »

Pardon my ignorance but do these crab and say spoon flies float? or are they slow-sinkers? whats approximate wieght on one?
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

My little blue crab has a foam body and a small lead dumbell weight underneath. It sinks fairly quickly. The spoons are unweighted, but they sink with a slow flutter.