numero uno

let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

numero uno

Post by let's go »

Did anyone ever get a good photo / recipe for the numero uno. I've seen some fuzzy photos, but no details. Angler's Edge is stocking one they call the numero uno, but I'm not so sure it's acurate.
Last edited by let's go on Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

I pulled the group photo off of Sparrow's site and sent it to the photo guru, Capt Jack. He enlarged the fly that Sparrow refers to as the "numero uno". It doesn't look anything like the one at Angler's Edge. Not to say that their version won't work, it's just not the same. I'm going to try to tie both of them this afternoon/evening. Here's the photo Jack fixed up for us.

Any ideas as to what the materials are? I know the tail is a curly type, those things sticking up are rubber legs, black hackle body. Do you think the weight is a cone, dumbell, or bead? And is the tuft sticking up in the front deer hair? What about the body material under the hackle?
Attachments
numero uno.jpg
numero uno.jpg (18.78 KiB) Viewed 9991 times
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

This is my first effort. I think I ive it a C+.
Attachments
P1080024.JPG
popasan

Post by popasan »

that looks good Scott.....
we are limited in the Corpus area for fly shops, but i dropped by a small tackle shop in Corpus awhile back and he had what he called a numero uno fly.....it looked differant from the ones you have posted but he said it was just like the one that Mr. Rowland uses...... but...i am sure there are a lot of knock offs.....i will try to go back by and if he still has one i will take a pic.......

does Bud Rowland sale those flies?......

Larry
slowride
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

neither

Post by slowride »

neither of those look like the numero unos i have seen. more research is in order.
WideGlide

wow

Post by WideGlide »

Looks like it might have little differences than the one that your were trying to copy but it really looks like you have a lot of pride in what you were doing. Great job :!:
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

I talked to Scott Sparrow and he said that the reason there are so many variations is because Bud keeps tweaking it a little. He doesn't sell them and has no intention of doing so. The first photo is a "numero uno" tied by Bud Rowland and given to Sparrow. I'd have to say that's about as original as you can get. Sparrow is going to send me more info (better photos / recipe). The more I look at mine the better I like it. It just has a lot of fish appeal going for it. We'll see.
popasan

Post by popasan »

i thought that if anyone had a true numero uno it would be Sparrow.....yours looks good, let us know how it works for you.....

Larry
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

Hey Scott... You know what they say in the lure business.... "It just has to catch fishermen. Catching fish is optional"
FLYYAK

nm

Post by FLYYAK »

The picture is in the Gulf Coast Fisherman mag summer 2003. 8) :D