TKF 10,000 Club

Big Ole Rattlesnake

Post by CaptJack »

Big Ole Rattlesnake
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

That is a big old rattlesnake. :shock: Was it caught in West or South Texas?
WATER HOG
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by WATER HOG »

:shock: had one strike at me close to that size in December in south TX. a few yrs ago , hit my pants leg :shock: I back peddeled about 20 ft so fast, I fell damaged my riffel , shaking from fear I drew my 9mm empted the 15 round clip . she never ratteled until after she struck , I respect snakes , I grew up in snake country ,and still respect them . :D
fishlover
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Etoile Tx. (Lake Sam Rayburn) Piney Woods of East Texas

Post by fishlover »

WATER HOG wrote::shock: had one strike at me close to that size in December in south TX. a few yrs ago , hit my pants leg :shock: I back peddeled about 20 ft so fast, I fell damaged my riffel , shaking from fear I drew my 9mm empted the 15 round clip . she never ratteled until after she struck , I respect snakes , I grew up in snake country ,and still respect them . :D

Thats what you call Gettin-r-dun. :lol: :lol: :lol:
4X4Yak

Post by 4X4Yak »

I hate snakes. Had a copperhead bite me on the foot about a year ago. I couldn't walk for 2 weeks...Steve
Bluffer
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Bluffer »

Strange to find one that time of year, looks like deep winter, no leaves on the trees & hes wearing a jacket. Should have been in hibernation.
OVERRUN

Post by OVERRUN »

If I recall correctly, that rattler was caught in Hamilton county which I believe is in central Texas. It was caught if my memory serves me right in early spring or late winter before green-up. I'd hate to run across that one in some deep grass. :shock:
Lollipop
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Lollipop »

Why is it when one photographs a snake or a fish that they hold it towards the camera so it will look larger? When measuring a snake, hold it up for about 30 minutes and you can get an extra 10% in length. Lollipop
Fishmastr1

Post by Fishmastr1 »

That is huge! :shock: My mom would kill me if I brought that in the house!! :lol: How heavy is it? Did you eat it?
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

Fishmastr1
it's from the Great Continuum 8)
FOUL HOOKED
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by FOUL HOOKED »

They have some huge snakes up there. I used to be a deputy up there about 5 or 6 years ago in Hamilton. Just south of there in Lometta every year they hold the Rattle Snake Round up. Pretty cool if you have never seen it. They get some bigguns!
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

9' Texas Rattlesnake - They grow 'em BIG in Texas - This snake was recently found at the old Turkey Creek gas plant located just south of the Alibates turnoff on Hwy 136 south of Fritch, Texas. (just north of Amarillo)

govtmule

Post by govtmule »

Sorry Capt., that snake was killed 4 miles north of Premont, Tx last year. 2 miles east of my house. The plant you see there is the Seligson gas plant owned by Duke Energy. The man holding the snake is Neil Smith with Triad Energy. Known that guy all my life.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

I love email/the internet - nothing is as it should be :roll: 8)
jggreg4

fake snake

Post by jggreg4 »

That snake up top has been photoshoped. Email was sent to me saying it was killed in erath county around stephenville. Looks like a South texas snake to me. Maybe around Tilden
jggreg4

fake snake

Post by jggreg4 »

That snake up top has been photoshoped. Email was sent to me saying it was killed in erath county around stephenville. Looks like a South texas snake to me. Maybe around Tilden
Bluffer
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Bluffer »

Man thought this old thread had already died! :wink:
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

The last round of posts was "only" in November of last year. :wink:
WATER HOG
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by WATER HOG »

anyone up for a walk in the brush today ? :shock: :roll: :D
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

WATER HOG wrote:anyone up for a walk in the brush today ? :shock: :roll: :D

In thick brush, it's better on "hands and knees". This way, one can get "up close and personal" with Mr Diamondback. :wink:
WATER HOG
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by WATER HOG »

Night Wing, I'll let ya lead ! :shock: :D
MudDuck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MudDuck »

Ya'll come on down I'll put you on some rattlers in some of the thickest thorniest brush where everything sticks stings pokes and bites. We'll have one helluva time in the snakedens. :lol:

Then we can get all liqoured up and have a Hopi Snake raindance. :shock:
The Hopi snake dance ritual, performed as an incantation to bring rain for an abundant harvest, was one of the rituals photographed by Curtis. While the dancer clutched a rattlesnake in his teeth, he was followed by a "hugger," who calmed the snake with a feathered stick. Once the dance concluded, the snakes were released in the plaza, where women sprinkled them with cornmeal. Runners would pick up the snakes and carry them in four directions before releasing them in the desert. According to Hopi tradition, the snakes return to the underworld carrying prayers to the rain god. Examine Curtis's photographs showing different elements of the Hopi ritual dance, as well as photographs of other dances intended to bring rain:

Lou Dog

Leg gators

Post by Lou Dog »

I bought a pair of those leg gators in case I run into a rattler while hunting. I sure feel a lot better wearing those things, they were $50, worth it to me. I tend to run into a lot of rattlers where I do most of my coyote hunting, I walked right over one about 3 weeks ago, didn't even see it, I know they blend in well with their natural surroundings and my red-green color deficiency can't help. My buddy was about 10 seconds behind me, he saw it and killed it. Don't need any type of fishing or hunting license in CA to kill a rattler, I do know though that to take any other type of snake CA requires you have a valid FISHING license. Rabbit season just opened today here and I'll be getting some bunnies tomorrow. Same place where I hunt the Coyotes, bringing the leg gators for sure. Have a good holiday weekend, LD