Fishing the surf tomorrow 4-9-06 need advice

FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Fishing the surf tomorrow 4-9-06 need advice

Post by FishingSETX »

Just wondering if you guys had any tips on fishing the surf tomorrow? We'll be heading to either mcfaddin or crystal, and it'll be our first surf outing in a yak. there'll be four of us, but none have ever kayaked in the surf. I've read alot of the posts on saftey, but I wanted to get an expert opinion as to whether the surf will be to rough. we all have mainstream kingfish kayaks, and just plan on going out far enough to clear the breakers. I would consider myself a pretty good paddler, and another guy going is pretty good, but my wife and sister have only been out a few times in pretty calm water. we all have PFD's, whistles, and 5 lb folding (Grappling?) ancors. we're not planning on a marathon, just a little fun and to get some experiance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
mallard08

Post by mallard08 »

i went a couple of weeks ago i was yaking out baits for sharks. Were your life jacket. Me and my friend were yaking out a bait and caught a wave and pushed us side ways and flipped my yak and it landed on my head and if i had my 5 pound anchore in it it would have kncked me out cold. it dosent matter how good of a swimmer you are im on vaarsity swim team but you cant swimm knocked out. im gald i was wearing my lifejacket and took my anchore out. ive never fished those beaches but do a seach on beach cams for the beach and you can see what the beach looks like i usually fish matagorda and on matagordabay.com there is a good beach cam. what are yall fishing for?
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Jolly Roger »

Sunday is looking good. Should have flat or light surf, and light winds.

I would suggest paddling around some without any gear in the kayak just to get a feel for the waves. If they are small then it will not be much different then fishing a lake or bay. The north wind lays the surf flat on the upper coast, and should make for a great day sunday kayaking fishing. High tide is around three, so most of the action may be after noon. Good luck and post a report.
redfish20

Surf conditions

Post by redfish20 »

I live in Galveston, when I left for work this morning we had a strong gusty wind out of the north , air temp. was 57 in the shade of my deck and 64 on the gauge in my truck which was in the sun. driving along the seawall coming in @ 11:30am there it looked like about 2-2 1/2 foot rollers breaking on the 2nd bar, the water was brown in the surf (as was the bay) but it did look to clear up @200-300 yards out. I've been out twice this week, Tuesday and Thursday and they couldn't have been more diff. Tuesday very calm winds and lots of glass minnows and mullet in the surf and pass. (lots of spanish macks too). Thursday gusty winds and not alot of bait moving. Didn't catch anything Thursday. Hopefully the water will clear up over the next few days. Good luck! and be safe.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

We're after anything that bites. Your right mallard, PFD's for everybody. i've already decided to leave beaumont around 11:00 (to chilly in the morning), so maybe by then with the north wind, the waves will have layed down some. Spannish Macks would be awesome. The only ones I've ever caught (in numbers higher than 1) where about 10 years ago at the 20 mile lighthouse. I also plan on paddling for at least an hour before ever trying to fish (unless really calm). how does the long shore current (I think thats what you call it) affect you in a yak. when wading, ive always had trouble staying in line with the truck. im sure you get carried along with it, but do you get pulled as fast? I'll post a report tomorrow evening, and I'll check back just before we leave to see if there is any more advise. thanks for the info, its really appreciated.
mallard08

Post by mallard08 »

ive had the same problem of not going straite. but i found out is look back every 10 paddles or so. i do that and now i can keep straiter.
bing

Post by bing »

fishingsetx, i maybe headed to sea rim after lunch .. i'll pm u a cell number, maybe we can surf the same spot.
redfish20

surf conditions today

Post by redfish20 »

Surf is a little more choppy than yesterday, still very off color (looks like you could plow it). It does look to clear up @250-300 yards out. Heard some reports of some small blacktip being caught yesterday but cannot confirm it , 3rd. bar might be a little tough to get over but if you can make a set out there you might do some good. Temps are a higher today. Good luck ! wave action appears to be left to right so you might have to keep you bow headed left to keep the bow out of you line.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

we had a blast!! surf couldn't have been better. The fishing was slow, but one of the guys there did catch a slot red. we spent more time playing in the surf than fishing though. I'll post some pics as soon as I get a chance!!
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

just finished my trailer
Attachments
new trailer
new trailer
nice red
nice red
baby shark
baby shark
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

more pics
Attachments
headed out
headed out
april incoming.JPG
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

SETX,

I can see that your group had a lot of fun! Great pics. Did anybody flip their kayak in the surf??? :shock:

Excellent job on the trailer, it looks great!

Mrs. B
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

we spent more time surfing the yaks than fishing, and yes we all flipped MANY times, but I was the only one who flipped while carrying a rod. I broke an almost brand new St. Crox (ouch). actually, it broke just before the flip, I planted my paddle to try and keep straight, and just happened to plant it in the middle of my rod!!!