why just mullet heads?

playsitright

why just mullet heads?

Post by playsitright »

i read that people have been killing reds with just mullet heads. are yall using these because they are just harder and stay on the hook longer or do the eyes & blood attract the reds?
CypressAg83
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CypressAg83 »

There's a lot more smelly stuffin in the upper half of the mullet - AND the head-section lasts a long time, even with little critters picking away at it. BUT, save the tail-sections for when you run outta heads. They work too. It just seems to take longer for the reds/sharks to find 'em (or, maybe it is just my imagination).
playsitright

Post by playsitright »

any certian way to hook it or just hook it any way?
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I generally catch about as many fish on the tail sections as I do the heads.

Quality and freshness of the bait is the most important thing.
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

If there are bait stealers around, it takes them longer to clean out a head than a body cut. Both reds and sharks will eat most anything, though. Don't get hung up on mullet. There have been threads on other boards about what all people have caught reds on, and the list is pretty much endless. I personally have caught bull reds on over a dozen types of bait. Eveything from pieces of shrimp the size of my thumbnail to hardheads and cownose ray, and then there's always lures.

With very few exceptions, if you can put it on a hook, it's good redfish bait.

BTW, I use a circle hook from 14/0 to 20/0 and hook the heads from under the chin, out the top of the head.
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

When working offshore and we had a shortage of "real" bait the best bait for sharks was hotdogs......may try that whenever I make it back to HI