Moses Lake

Mud-Minnow

Moses Lake

Post by Mud-Minnow »

Hello,

Maybe you guys can help me out.

I have noticed on my fishing maps that there are some flats (North Moses Flats I think) and apparently a "deep hole" to the north west of the tidal gates on Moses Lake. I have been trying to figure out if this area is accessible by car (at least close enough to put in and paddle). The google maps that I have seen show a road called Skyline Drive that apparently starts in Texas city and comes out on 146 near the bridge over Dickinson Bay.

I have driven up and down 146 and the only road I see going east off of the highway and south of the bridge appears to have a gate accross it. I made one attempt to find the other end in Texas City but did not have a decent map to go by at the time and I don't really know my way around there.

Is anyone familiar with this area and is it easy enough to paddle to? How is the fishing there?
jhjspecks
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhjspecks »

drive down to the Texas City Dike and as you go up the hill to the stop sign, turn left and you will be on Skyline Dr. Follow that all the way down to the flood gate and your there! now here is were it starts to SUCK. they have begun building a nightmare of a fancy home community down there and everything is fenced off to get into Moses Lake from there. you will have to launch on the bay side and paddle into Mose Lake from there. right now you can find alot of flounder, or use to be able to near the gate. But BE CAREFUL AND WEAR YOUR PFD paddling through the gate, strong current and deep water! if you are going to fish in the area, watch out for idiots in boats that have always ripped threw there. the other side of the Skyline is private property.
Mitchw123456
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Mitchw123456 »

do NOT try to paddle through the flood gate! I grew up fishing Moses Lake and that is an absolutely ridiculous thing to do. (I mean do disrespect to the above poster but I have my reasons!) When you have an out going tide you will NOT be able to paddle back into the lake. Like I said I grew up fishing this lake originally from a power boat, and there have been more than one occasion I've seen POWER BOATS not be able to make it through the gate due to tidal flow. The water is very fast here even when there isn't much tide moving.

The best way to access the deep hole via kayak is to launch at hwy 146. To simplify this I will add a map on. This isn't a bad paddle at all. I especially like this launch because after I get done catching red fish there is great fishing all the way back to your launch. I think in the map I colored a yellow area. If you drift this shoreline, and the crab traps in the area you will find trout. on a low tide you can see the reefs in the area where you first come out.

I'm going to be there in a couple hours myself and if my big ass can make the paddle easily I know most normal folks should be able to
Attachments
click on the pic for full size
click on the pic for full size
Last edited by Mitchw123456 on Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mitchw123456
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Mitchw123456 »

edit
Last edited by Mitchw123456 on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mud-Minnow

Post by Mud-Minnow »

Thanks fellas,

I may try this weekend.
Mud-Minnow

Post by Mud-Minnow »

Well, I never made it to the deep hole but me and another guy that I met up with out there found a little cove in the marsh that had a huge bed of redfish up in the moss grass. They were evidently in a feeding frenzy. Baitfish were flying everywhere. Unfortunately we only had artificials and they were being very finicky. I tried everything in the box and was about to leave when I decide to try this one topwater MirroLur again. BAM...I got his guy to bite. It put my crappy reel to the test but I managed to boat him.

Only ended up with one but it made it worth the paddle.
Attachments
RED800x768.JPG
Mud-Minnow

Post by Mud-Minnow »

Well, I never made it to the deep hole but me and another guy that I met up with out there found a little cove in the marsh that had a huge bed of redfish up in the moss grass. They were evidently in a feeding frenzy. Baitfish were flying everywhere. Unfortunately we only had artificials and they were being very finicky. I tried everything in the box and was about to leave when I decide to try this one topwater MirroLur again. BAM...I got his guy to bite. It put my crappy reel to the test but I managed to boat him.

Only ended up with one but it made it worth the paddle.
Attachments
RED800x768.JPG
Mitchw123456
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Mitchw123456 »

I'm assuming you went through the little canal like on thet google earth map? i just started taking the yak in there but I used to do quite well in there in my old jon boat. Its a heck of a lot easier going down skyline with taht yak that coming back up!
Mud-Minnow

Post by Mud-Minnow »

Yea
We put in the canal side of the levee near the end by the tide gate. Went out through the cut that apparently has been recently blocked off by construction. We had to drag the yaks up over the construction road but it was no biggie. I suppose this may not be an option once the fancy home community is built.

You are right about the climb up that levee draggin the boat after a day of paddling..Whew!

You know, I checked that launch spot near the bridge on 146 and there are "Private Property" signs all over. I did not feel good about leaving my truck there while I was off in the boat.

Thanks again for the info. I will be back to that spot. I might have to bring some cut bait nest time.
Mitchw123456
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Mitchw123456 »

if it said private property you were in the wrong spot