Need to do better

Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Need to do better

Post by Milkjug »

Palomar is a good knot but a PITA to tie when your lure is something like a topwater with multiple trebels. In order to fit the lure through the loop you have to make it very big and it wastes leader.

Imp clinch should be fine. In addition to lubing the knot with spit before you tighten, make sure to tighten it right. Pull between the lure and main line, then pull the tag end to tighten it after that.

I agree, you probably had your drag too tight. No reason to lose a fish to a bad knot ever.
herefishyfishy80

Post by herefishyfishy80 »

Or if all else fails.... If you can't tie a knot, tie alot! lol (only joking) :dance: :dance: :lol:

I would tie a few and see what works for you. Some folks stick with certain knots because they have never failed them. Like I would never snell a hook EVER. Palomars have never failed me but have lost some nice flounders but I have another knot that I use for them and only them. :twisted:
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

For any line, Palomar is the best, especially braid. Easy, quick, and strong!
surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfpunk »

Yaklash wrote:
argentine fisherman wrote:I did notice my drag being to tight , thanks for all the help! I'll try the Palomar knot next and I'll adjust my drag
You should be able to pull it off the reel with a medium amount of force. It will be significantly harder to pull line off the reel against the bend of the rod.
You have to keep an eye on your drag. Enjoy the fight.
The Palomar knot Is what I use Also. Never lost a fish due to knot failure. I tie on about a 24" shock liter to my braid using a uni to uni knot, then a Palomar knot to my quick snap, or lure. I've been hung up on the bottom, wrapped the line around my glove and pulled until it bent my hook. Gives you an idea of how strong that knot is.
Attachments
Pic of the quick snap and Palomar knot
Pic of the quick snap and Palomar knot