PVC Truck Rack

Cole

PVC Truck Rack

Post by Cole »

Heading to Florida in May and will need to haul 2 Native Ultimates and I am thinking I am going to build a rack instead of buying one.

Has anyone perfected the pvc truck rack and do you have any photos? The last thing I want is for this thing to break half way there or back.
chazbo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by chazbo »

You will get responses of folks who have made PVC rack.......my advise...stay away from PVC. It breaks at the joints.......been there, done that.

My current rack is made of 2x4's and is much better.
Fished

Post by Fished »

I had a PVC truck rack I made. It's going in the trash tomorrow. It's broken about four times. I'm tired of fixing it. I'm either going to buy one or make one out of a different material.
Redfish4me

Post by Redfish4me »

CCkayaker has a nice PVC rack. He has added braces for structural strength. He has been using his for several tournaments with little to no problem. I would PM him to see if there are any problems or what he would of done different.
killjug2

Post by killjug2 »

Buy some cheap 2x4 studs and put them together with deck screws and gorila glue. I built 1 in an afternoon and it works great.
islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 »

If there is one thing you can count on it is the fact that PVC will fail you at some point in time. Just hope it isn't when your going 70 mph down the hwy :shock: UV rays will make the PVC brittle in short order :!:

My recommendation is to buy yourself a bed extender that fits into your hitch. Probably pick up a new one for around $30 bucks.
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

FYI killjug2, if you paint the pvc it will protect it from the uv. There are many high rise building coolingwater systems on roof tops with pvc piping that is painted without any issues of uv degradation.
killjug2

Post by killjug2 »

Painted PVC works great for moving water but as you stress the joints with loads the PVC cracks and weakens over time. PVC pipe is not made to be structurally sound it is made to contain a set amount of pressure. Metal racks, wooden racks, or bed extenders are all better options. Wood is much cheaper than the pipe and joints you will need to make a rack and will last much longer with stronger joints.
Cole

Post by Cole »

Does anyone have any photos of a wood rack, I can build?
buzhazzard

Post by buzhazzard »

I saw Chazbo's this past weekend and it looks stout. I tried to do a search for pics, but could not find any.
word-doctor

Post by word-doctor »

Have to agree with the majority. My PVC truck rack is now a garage rack--at least it keeps the yak off the floor.
killjug2

Post by killjug2 »

I will post a pic of the one I built when I get my pics transfered to the computer. It is not completely painted yet but it works and I have used it several times.
Fished

Post by Fished »

My PVC rack was painted and it still broke 4 times. The last time was the last for me, I cut half of it up today and put in the trash. The other half will go next week. I'm going to get some 2X4 and build a new one.
chazbo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by chazbo »

Simple 2x4 rack, with pics:

This fits my needs really well, functional, and cheap, and easy to store. One of my difficulties with most manufactured racks, is that I have to have my toolbox on my truck, and most won't work with a toolbox (Thanks Thule and Yakima). It also allows me to get the yaks up, and still have full use of the truck bed.

1. I measure the stake pockets on the truck, and cut down the bottom s of my uprights so that they fit in. I just cut a couple 2x's in half, and work on the bottom 1st. That way if you make a boo-boo, you can still have a do-over.

2. Once I get my bottoms done, I put them in the stake pockets, and decide how high I want my cross bars. My front rack, and back rack are different elevations, with the front being higher. That way I can get my Fnd on there upside down, and the bow of the yak is still above the truck cab. Once I have determined where the crossbars will be, then I notch the 2x, to recieve the crossbar.

3. Plywood gusset for added strenght, and to keep it from racking. You could also get some metal brackets from Home Depot for this if you wanted. At some point, you can trim the tops of the "H" to the height you want.

4. Finished product: It ain''t much to look at, but total cost is under $20. It waggles some in the stake pockets, but by the time you get a yak on top, and a couple straps on it, it's very stable. Good enugh for me.....