Cold weather fishing

Pops55

Cold weather fishing

Post by Pops55 »

With cooler weather headed this way I plan on spending more time in my yak. I was looking for suggestions on staying warm and dry in my Tarpon 120. What kinda gear do you like to wear to stay dry, but still be able to fish without allot of restriction?
LiverDog
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by LiverDog »

They make all kinds of expensive expedition gear, but academy sells nice waterproof rain gear. I just wear that. I keep a rash gaurd shirt underneath and stay plenty dry. If it gets really cold add a layer of long johns.
LD
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

When it is really cold I wear the Neoprene waders (with a safety belt). Long johns underneath and thin layers for the cold. Gortex knit cap for the head.
Go light on the layers on the paddle out to keep the sweating down. Stow the heavy shirt or jacket in the boat. Cool off then put the layers on the body core after you get to the initial place to fish for awhile. If it is raining and/or windy, a light gortex jacket will keep you dry and warm. I've used that setup for 30 years and it has always worked for me (Gortex was a recent addition...10 years ago) for fishing or hunting.
Remember that your head is where you can lose a trememdous amount of your body heat....always keep the noggin warm.

fishin'
Al

Cold Weather Fishing

Post by Al »

I agree with most of the above with the exception of the use of neoprene waders. I wade fish in them but do not kayak in them. I don't like their bulkiness and their fill-up with water potential even with a belt. I really like Chota's mukluks which have just below the knee heigth (neoprene tops) and slip on and slip off very easily especially in the event of a capsize where you might need to swim a bit. I also wear a pair of cheapo waterproof pants to keep spray and paddle drips off the lower clothing layers.
Goretex waders would reduce the bulkiness of neoprene waders but still have the fill-up potential and can be expensive.
chavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by chavez »

I might try a neoprene wetsuit this year for when it starts to dip in the 40s. Something like this from REI: http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=12382625&parent_category_rn=4501480

I've got a pair of neoprene reef boots that I currently use also.

What do y'all think?
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

I do the layers... and I top it off with a pair of the Cabela's Lightweight breathable waders. They are excellent!!! They aren't bulky. They are light enuf to wear on those cool fall mornings. I belt them for safety and comfort. I do not worry about water-filling because most of my cool weather fishing is very shallow. I fish backlakes at the coast and shallow rifles for the white bass in the rivers. Here's a link for them...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jhtml?id=0011367&navAction=jump&navCount=0&indexId=&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fpod-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=search
kayak angler

Cool weather paddling

Post by kayak angler »

I wear breathable waders that I got at Academy over nylon or polar fleece pants. I wear a nylon fishing shirt and carry a polar fleece top and breathable/waterproof jacket in a dry bag in case it turns cool and/or windy.

I experimented capsizing in deep water with waders this past summer. If I was wearing a proper fitting PFD my waders only took on enough water to fill the foot area, a bit more without the PFD. My feet had a tendency to float to the surface and I was able to right my kayak and climb back on with 2 minutes. Bottom line is wear a PFD if you use waders and fish in deeper water during the winter.