Advice..

Slayton

Advice..

Post by Slayton »

I finally got the money scraped up to make a trip down to San Antonio and get me a Fishing Yak. My dilemma is this. I have a $800 budget (which has taken me awhile to scrape together, stinking kids always needing to eat). I am heading down next week.

I was going to get a
http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS12T-Sit ... 707113412/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But on the TKF for sale list I found a loaded Ocean Kayak Trident 13.6 in San Antonio for $800.

I have never been in either but would like to do some Coast fishing ( we go ever Oct) as well as the local rivers. The widths are around the same.

Input??

Rusty
Christoval Area.
yakinjunkie

Re: Advice..

Post by yakinjunkie »

You might try and go to that Happy Trails place in Angelo and pick out one of those wilderness systems they have in stock. I'm sure he can make you a deal if you just say all I have is 800 cash. You could use that gas and time to go fishing :D

I picked up a used Cuda 12 from this guy and I am very very happy with it. He has some used 2013 Coosa's for 850. http://www.kayakinstruct.com/Sale_Clear ... 722014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's just my two cents.
MWS65

Post by MWS65 »

I have a trident 13 and its been a great rig. I am now in a ride 115X. If you want to see if you like the Trident let me know we can hit the south concho. This way you will no if you like it or not before you head to SA.
Mike
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

I have the older brother of the Trident, the Prowler, but have been in a ton of Tridents. I love them. I've heard good things about the ascends as well. Just that they are heavy. Says on basspro they're 77lbs. Everyone I know that has one says that with the swivel seat it's 98lbs. It's capacity is 350lbs whereas the trident is 400-450lbs. You can stand and fish all day in the ascend, but you need to have pretty good balance to do it in the trident, but still very possible. Also, with the gps showing my speeds, I know with a 10 mph wind at my back I can hit 6 mph, and still hit 3 mph with a 25 mph headwind in a Trident 13. (the 6mph was not constant, just a short run, i'm not a machine, :lol: ). I don't think you will get anywhere close to that in the ascend, but if it's just rivers and no open water or long stretches, it would definitely be worth the larger fishing platform. Anyway, that's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Scott
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Oops, quick edit.... the 98lbs is the ascend fs128t not the fs12t.
Slayton

Post by Slayton »

Thanks a ton for the wonderful advice. We have decided to go with the ascend since the majority of my time is spent in the Concho. I will just save for an open water yak, it is a goal to hit the princess platform near corpus. My personal 5k.

Rusty

Christoval tx
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Aggroman wrote:I have the older brother of the Trident, the Prowler, but have been in a ton of Tridents. I love them. I've heard good things about the ascends as well. Just that they are heavy. Says on basspro they're 77lbs. Everyone I know that has one says that with the swivel seat it's 98lbs. It's capacity is 350lbs whereas the trident is 400-450lbs. You can stand and fish all day in the ascend, but you need to have pretty good balance to do it in the trident, but still very possible. Also, with the gps showing my speeds, I know with a 10 mph wind at my back I can hit 6 mph, and still hit 3 mph with a 25 mph headwind in a Trident 13. (the 6mph was not constant, just a short run, i'm not a machine, :lol: ). I don't think you will get anywhere close to that in the ascend, but if it's just rivers and no open water or long stretches, it would definitely be worth the larger fishing platform. Anyway, that's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Scott
How are they in raging, biblical torrents of flooding? And, will it fit into a rescue chopper?
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

(stern voice) Bill, the adults are talking, go back outside and play with your wittle deer.

:D

...and no, they won't fit in a chopper, I barely fit. :lol:
johnboy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by johnboy »

Bill, the adults are talking, go back outside and play with your wittle deer.

LMFAO!!!
Slayton

Post by Slayton »

I got it but......

Left the house (Christoval) at 11:30. Made it to Junction in great time. Approximately 6 miles east of Segovia we began to feel an annoying vibration that made an unknown object in the back of the Yukon begin to rattle. Unfortunately I fixated on the metallic rattle from the rear of our vehicle rather than what would cause the vibration in the first place. So another 4 miles tick by and we sling the rubber off the drivers side rear. No problem, I am always over prepared and carry a floor jack and a 12 volt impact wrench, my son and I will be back on the road in record time.

Spare comes down. Bald tire comes off and the spare goes on with less speed and agility than I had imagined. The jack lowers slowly and so does my spare. Flat spare and I am in no man's land. So I begin to pace not knowing anyone within 1.5 hrs drive and have my 10y/o son in tow. In anger I kick the slick tire and realize its not flat, just round as a donut and on bare wire.

The slick tire goes back on and we begin to limp back towards Junction. 30 minutes later we find Tillman Tire and a crafty man that charges us $25 to fix the spare and tries to sell us an antique balding tire to replace our trusty rubber-less tire for $65. I want this kayak so badly, but I can't stand the thought of paying for the antique. So I sit in the Yukon and almost make a uturn home. And a man pulls into the station with three yaks tied to his trailer. By god, I am getting it this time.

We call around and find a new tire in Kerrville (45mins closer to San Antonio) at discount tire. I'm going for it. I have been saving for a year damnit. The newly fixed spare on the vehicle we take our chances and head east again hoping our four tires hold up.

They do and we get to Kerrville with 5hrs before Bass pro closes. As we sit in discount tire waiting the hour and a half to put on our new tire that cost $50 more than they quoted, a young woman walks in wearing what I can only assume used to be a pair of shorts she must have worn in grade school. After she brokers her deal, the entire staff decides to stop working on anyone else's vehicle and pulls our Yukon out to put four new tires on her's in 10mins flat. Then begins to work on ours again. I haven't said anything to my son about this but he turns to me and says. " I bet she dressed like that just to come here" .. The levity of that statement from my 10 y/o son makes it much easier to deal with.

We leave Kerrville and arrive at Bass pro 2.5 hrs before they close. (6:30).... I walk straight upstairs to find a couple sitting in the model I just spent 7hrs to get to, and see a salesman near by. He advises me that the one being pawed at is the last one. At this point I honestly was so upset I was sick. I made a trip to the restroom and come back in 15 mins to see the same couple molesting my kayak. I stand their for another 20 mins as they waffle between my kayak and a flipping canoe. Then they just walk away and tell the clerk thank you. I was so distraught by this point that I actually asked permission from the clerk to buy it. The look he gave me......... Embarrassing.

Long story sorry. I had to share it. I will post a few pics when I get home. By the time I got back to Christoval it was 1am and I had to work Eden EMS this morning. So she is still in the carport unused, but she finally mine.

Rusty
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Wow, what an adventure. :lol: Glad you finally got it though, even though it was a much harder road than expected. Hope it's maiden voyage is smooth and the fish caught will ease the pain. :D

Good luck!
Scott