Work is rough..

Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Work is rough..

Post by Barnacle Bill »

I have to go spend a couple of days at the resort in Lajitas for work. It's the TPWD regional Safety Officer Conference.

I'll be heading down on Saturday, February 14th with Karen to spend a couple of days at the Big Bend Resort in Terlingua before trekking the 12 miles to the Lajitas resort that Monday for the week..

I call it.... "The Gartman Expedition"...

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Work is rough..

Post by Aggroman »

Keep an eye on the forecast then. :lol:

And for the record...all my expeditions didn't have "resort" in the title. :lol: :lol:
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

I love Fajitas.
teenfisherman

Post by teenfisherman »

Sooooo, are there any openings for an 18 year old high school graduate? lol :mrgreen:
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

teenfisherman wrote:Sooooo, are there any openings for an 18 year old high school graduate? lol :mrgreen:

If you are an 18 year old high school graduate and want to work for TPWD, make sure that you don't ever desire to make a lot of money, that you like being dirty, that you like to learn about all things natural and sometimes au natural and that you want to have a lot of fun for the rest of your life because the job is AWESOME.

Most positions require a college degree but there are a few that don't. The best thing to do is get on as a volunteer at a state park and work your way in, much the way that Aggroman worked his way into this austere group of high thinkers.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Barnacle Bill wrote:much the way that Aggroman worked his way into this austere group of high thinkers.
Them's fightin' words mister! I outta kick your austere for that! Ain't nuttin but a bunch a high drinkers round here anyways. I'm smart when I needs to be, just ask Bigrock. Me and him are just alike...like two deer pellets from the same pile.

:D
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

http://www.desertsportstx.com/mountain-bike-event/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is on that weekend.
teenfisherman

Post by teenfisherman »

Barnacle Bill wrote:
teenfisherman wrote:Sooooo, are there any openings for an 18 year old high school graduate? lol :mrgreen:

If you are an 18 year old high school graduate and want to work for TPWD, make sure that you don't ever desire to make a lot of money, that you like being dirty, that you like to learn about all things natural and sometimes au natural and that you want to have a lot of fun for the rest of your life because the job is AWESOME.

Most positions require a college degree but there are a few that don't. The best thing to do is get on as a volunteer at a state park and work your way in, much the way that Aggroman worked his way into this austere group of high thinkers.
This is great information! My heart is set on law enforcement right now though, and maybe into the probation field later on, I've always felt like being an officer is what I need to do!
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

teenfisherman wrote:
Barnacle Bill wrote:

This is great information! My heart is set on law enforcement right now though, and maybe into the probation field later on, I've always felt like being an officer is what I need to do!
What about a game warden? Covers more than a state trooper and part of wildlife. Go with your heart. Nothing like getting up in the morning looking forward to going to work instead of looking at a clock waiting to go home.
If you love the work you do, you have found the key to success.
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Not only game warden but we also have State Park Police Officers. The police academy is 7 months long. You live at the academy Mon-Fri and get to spend weekends at home. So you're a state police officer, get to go on all kinds of disaster relief, get to patrol, can get certified as a Wildland Firefighter and go on fires, etc... State Park police officer is the shiznit... You get issued a pistol and an AR and your very own truck that only you drive... and it is a take home truck...
teenfisherman

Post by teenfisherman »

Barnacle Bill wrote:Not only game warden but we also have State Park Police Officers. The police academy is 7 months long. You live at the academy Mon-Fri and get to spend weekends at home. So you're a state police officer, get to go on all kinds of disaster relief, get to patrol, can get certified as a Wildland Firefighter and go on fires, etc... State Park police officer is the shiznit... You get issued a pistol and an AR and your very own truck that only you drive... and it is a take home truck...

Oh man, this has some potential for me! Any idea on what the school requirements are?
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

teenfisherman wrote:
Barnacle Bill wrote:Not only game warden but we also have State Park Police Officers. The police academy is 7 months long. You live at the academy Mon-Fri and get to spend weekends at home. So you're a state police officer, get to go on all kinds of disaster relief, get to patrol, can get certified as a Wildland Firefighter and go on fires, etc... State Park police officer is the shiznit... You get issued a pistol and an AR and your very own truck that only you drive... and it is a take home truck...

Oh man, this has some potential for me! Any idea on what the school requirements are?

Bachelors degree or TCOLE Master Peace Officer certification.
nmYAK4fish

Post by nmYAK4fish »

Barnacle Bill wrote:
teenfisherman wrote:

Bachelors degree or TCOLE Master Peace Officer certification.
bachelors in what? I'm in college but struggling with calculus? looking for a way out of that crap
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Hey Bill...when you are in Fajitas, see if you can get a feel for how sane the locals think a float down Santa Elena Canyon is in this day and age of passports and screwy border politics. I sure would like to make that float again!
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Bigrock wrote:Hey Bill...when you are in Fajitas, see if you can get a feel for how sane the locals think a float down Santa Elena Canyon is in this day and age of passports and screwy border politics. I sure would like to make that float again!

I'll check with them. I'll also go down there and check with the cartels on the south side and see if you need any special permits are if you'll need to mule a certain number of kilos of powder or weed to gain safe passage... I can also check out potential landing zones for rescue helicopters in the event you take Scott "Noah" Aggroman with you...
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

How was the trip? Did you see any flood prone rivers?
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Bigrock wrote:How was the trip? Did you see any flood prone rivers?

Yes, I also found a toupe' floating down the river. At first I thought it was a muskrat but on the underside of it, it had the initials S.G.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Barnacle Bill wrote:
Bigrock wrote:How was the trip? Did you see any flood prone rivers?

Yes, I also found a toupe' floating down the river. At first I thought it was a muskrat but on the underside of it, it had the initials S.G.
Wasn't mine. My initials are S. F'n G.

:D
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

S. F'n G. :D :clap:
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Bigrock wrote:S. F'n G. :D :clap:

The man impresses me every day with his wit..