Training hard!

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Training hard!

Post by Prof. Salt »

This isn't something just everyone should try but for those in decent shape and who paddle a quick kayak, downwinding (surfing wind driven waves on your kayak) is a super fun way to gain strength, balance, and boat handling skills while smiling from ear to ear. I went out tonight with winds sustained at 23 and gusting to 40+ :shock: and the waves were the best I've seen in our bay.

Kalait

Re: Training hard!

Post by Kalait »

Nice video, sorry about the rudder, hope you get it fixed better. Went out for a 3.95 mile paddle on Sunday, having to heal from the soreness. Will be trying to build up, buy will be paddling at least once a week.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Lol, I keep a screwdriver in the hatch sealed in plastic to access the rudder controls and found a stringer clip and small carabiner rolling around inside the hatch too. I really didn't want to go through all that effort just to turn around and go home and I figured if it worked, I'd still have a chance to play on big waves. Otherwise I'd fight back to the truck. Thank goodness it worked and allowed me to play for a while! *Repairs while waist deep in challenging conditions isn't the easiest thing to accomplish.

Update: I updated the attachment of rudder cords to the yoke with large split rings. This should prevent future corrosion/breakage problems.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Your a wild man Prof! Hope to wet a line with you this year.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Prof my training hard is going to the local lake, trying once a week and paddle as long as possible. Sometimes this is with the waves of bass, ski, ski-doo boats and maintain your balance. Overall be safe and practice your re-entry in to your yak.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Kalait, do what’s available and as often as you can. Having muscles accustomed to paddling is half of it, and being comfortable in choppy conditions is a big thing too. Sounds to me like you’re doing what you can to be ready. And yes, practicing deep water re-entry is important.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Thanks Prof. Trying to loose some extra weight and get in shape. Found out a couple of weeks ago just how out of shape I really am. :)