Oops

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Oops

Post by Prof. Salt »

I've been tearing up the bay after work most afternoons lately since fishing has been a no-go with winds in the "tropical storm" zone. Since I have a Stealth capable of surfing, I've been downwinding (after paddling upwind) a lot. Sustained winds up to 30 mph are within my comfort zone these days, and they sure do produce some nice waves and speeds for this kind of workout.
I have also been enjoying seat time on a REALLY fast demo boat from Viking that Ryan Ford loaned me. Yesterday I was pushing my limits on the Viking Oxygen (18' x 24") and flipped the boat while doing 12 mph in big sloppy conditions. There was no chance to bail off and keep the boat upright, and the kayak landed on my head as I hit the water but I suffered no damage. I flipped the boat upright and climbed back on, and then noticed that my GoPro was not on the camera mount :? I guess the hardheads probably shot selfies while the battery lasted, but only Davey Jones will get to see it.
After a little grumbling and feeling sorry for myself, I stopped blaming the boat, the bay, Davey and everything else for my loss, and began to research what kind of camera needs to come next. The new GoPro is too expensive for my "loss-prone" activity level but DJI makes an interesting camera. I'm really leaning toward the Osmo Action cam, and wondered if any of you have experience with it. At $200 it's not cheap but offers a lot of features for a price I think I'm willing to pay.
SWFinatic

Re: Oops

Post by SWFinatic »

Man that stinks! Losing gear is a part of it but never fun when it happens. Don't have any insight on that camera. I do use a float on my GoPro just for that reason. Cheap insurance. https://www.amazon.com/Cameras-Floating ... B07FTG545Q
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

My Gopro was wearing the Re-Fuel anchor instead. Didn't work out so well :lol:

I have a DJI Osmo Action coming soon, and it will be wearing a leash while on the kayak.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Sorry to hear that your GoPro has gone to a different place. RIP Mr. Go Pro. I'm actually looking into cams as well. Have you seen the cost of the old Ion's, Glenn? They used to be around $25.00. Now they have gone up substantially. I saw one for around $80 on Amazon. I couldn't believe how much they have gone up. It's still cheaper than the Go Pro but man, what a price jump!
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

All the older models are going up. A replacement Hero 5 Black is running close to $300 when I paid under $200 a couple of years ago. The DJI cost me $200 but has some cool features I plan to use. Video at 240 fps should make for good tail grabbing action :D
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Man I was enjoying your speed videos that you posted lately! Sucks about the loss but more suck about the great video lost with it!
Hope you get a great cheap replacement.
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

Nikon has one out too that I was looking at.
trolling dirty

Post by trolling dirty »

hey guys. I used to live in the Houston area and posted a little back in the day about fishing my hobie outback at the Matty rig and other inshore areas. I've since moved from the area and am fishing elsewhere.

I have a HERO 5 that I bought (actually was inspired by Prof. Salt) so that I could make videos just like him. However, I found out that it was much harder work than I imagined, and now my gopro just sits around collecting dust.

If you guys are interested, I wouldn't mind selling it to you for a bit under whatever market rate is. I'll be happy to pass it along to someone who would make great use of it. Its in great condition, has a 32 GB chip, and I have 2 additional Smartree batteries with it (and charger).

I can't figure out how to attach an image but let me know if youre interested and i can email over more info
MTStringerS

Post by MTStringerS »

I bought the Osmo action about a year ago. Been doing great for me. It has pretty much all the same feathers at the GoPro and it has the front screen that GoPro 9 just showed up with. Same mounts so it will work with what you have. For the price difference it was a no brainer for me and I think it is just as good as the GoPro. It had a few issues early on but they have all been fixed with firmware updatres.