Back at it

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Back at it

Post by Prof. Salt »

Friday I was paddling out to a familiar marsh before dawn and fighting a strong headwind. There was a thunderstorm in the distance that posed little threat but that was making a strong downdraft requiring a hard effort with the paddle to keep moving. The all carbon paddle suddenly snapped in half, right through the connecting center section. I spent an hour paddling with half a paddle getting back to the truck. That night I checked the Saturday surf conditions. It showed 3-3.5' surf so I loaded the gear for chasing reds in the shallows again instead. I took a second paddle stored in the hull for insurance, knowing if I had one on standby it wouldn't be needed. I also should have checked the surf again before leaving the house because it had come down to comfortable levels and would have been my first choice. Oh well, I guess I missed that one.

After the three mile paddle to my first spot, I was happy to discover a school of fish feeding in the first few minutes of daylight just outside of the drain. In the dim light and chop it was difficult to see what they were doing, and I approached thinking the fish were working away from me. The first cast looked like it landed just behind the fish but it quickly became clear that they were actually feeding towards me, so the placement was accidentally perfect. Within a second or two the lure it got hit, and upon setting the hook the entire school blew out, as expected. It was a few hours and miles before I could locate shallow fish again. Thankfully this first fish was a nice one and went on ice.
I'm patient and just took my time searching shorelines. I found a few deeper fish but left them alone and continued the search for exposed crawlers. At around 10 the tide began to come back in and I started checking drain edges for visible fish. It didn't take long to find a few, but those blasted mullet kept scaring the target fish before I could get within casting range. It gets frustrating when you make a long quiet approach and then the mullet just start jumping all around and spook the target fish. I finally found a four-spot crawler on a shallow shelf beside the incoming water and away from the never-ending mullet parade, and when the bait passed in front of him it was quickly inhaled.
As I began working back toward the truck I took a shortcut through a small twisting canal that connected to another large area, and the flowing water kept me looking for another fish. As I came around a corner there was a tail above the surface tight to the muddy shore just ahead. I glided to within eight feet of this fish and he stopped moving but sat still, trying to figure out what had approached. I gently placed the bait in front of this one fully expecting it to bolt, but it wasn't as spooky as I feared and had no hesitations eating the bait.
No paddles were snapped in half during the trip :D , and by splashing water onto myself during the last few hours the temps were comfortable all morning. If the fish keep showing up later in the mornings I may sleep in until 7:00 and head out late on the next trip. The tidal movement seems to determine most of the crawling activity, so I may have to adjust to target that time rather than all that low-tide time spent searching empty shorelines.
John Hall

Re: Back at it

Post by John Hall »

Looks like those reds are at an all you can eat shrimp and crab buffet from the blue tails. Did the guts confirm that?

Lately it seems that the early morning bite isn't as strong as we would think it should be and tidal flow playing a really big factor, incoming being the better of the two.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I didn't look at the stomach contents of the fish, but there are a lot of small shrimp in the shallows lately that might account for the blue tails and darker pumpkin colors on some of the fish. The numbers of mullet are huge too, but mostly larger fish that might not be as easy for them to catch.
Craig Teal

Post by Craig Teal »

Glad you wasn’t way offshore like you are known to go when your paddle busted. That would have been a predicament that would have tested you.