Different idea for fish finder install

BlueGills

Different idea for fish finder install

Post by BlueGills »

I’m new to fish finders and finally pulled the trigger on a Stiker 4 CV. After pouring over hundreds of you tube videos and forums I’ve come up with what I think will fit my preferences best, but I haven’t seen anyone do it quite the way I’m thinking, so I wanted to get some opinions on any disadvantages I haven’t thought of. My kayak is an Old Town Sportsman 106 (basic model powered by paddling)

Ok, here’s what I’m thinking: Start off with a Navarre scupper mount for the transducer. Right behind the transducer scupper is the stand assist strap. I will remove the bolt that holds the strap in place, and use that threaded insert to anchor a homemade wooden box with a bolt through the bottom of the box. The box will be made of 1 inch thick oak (left over ends that i cut off of stair treads) and the two sides will extend lower than the base of the box to create little skids, to avoid having the box sitting in water on the deck. I will cover the skids with pool noodle or pipe wrap so that when I snug it down I don’t have any oak contacting the deck. The box will contain my battery and excess cord, and the top will have the fish finder mounted to it.

Here are the reasons I want this type of mount: I do not want to drill holes into my kayak. I don’t want my transducer mounted on an arm. I don’t want to have the rails cluttered with stuff. I want the battery to be reasonably protected from the elements. It will be nice to be able to remove everything from the kayak pretty easily.

Disadvantages I have thought of: The display will be out of reach and somewhat far from view. The box will be made of wood (I feel that using solid oak along with polyurethane, silicone and weather stripping will make that a non issue).

Has anybody done anything similar or have any opinions? I’m planning on starting the build in a weekend or so unless I find a reason that it would be a bad idea.
motoyak

Re: Different idea for fish finder install

Post by motoyak »

Yeah, I have done that too.
Tansducer scupper mount, plastic tuperrware type box, wrap extra wire around deed feeder battery and mount FF on lid. Self contained and removable
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by JimD »

Back in the mid 2000's we had a lot of discussions on this.
I had mine rigged where I mounted the td in the pvc piece that was glued into the bottom of the kayak. I used water then went to vasoline because the water would leak out from time to time. They can become unglued and not work but just clean and regule.

Pull up some of the old articles I had several on this type of mount. You can run it out the cover. Mine had a 12 volt battery hooked to cover mount with the wiring in the boat. I also had a stand that mounted the unit and one hole for the wiring to the front of the kayak below the top of the kayak. Crap mounted above the boat is a pain in the ass for me.
Take a look Probably articles in the 5005 thru 2010 area. Luck JimD
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by JimD »

https://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/for ... p?t=200098

I started with TKF back in 1999 and things have changed a lot.

Back then most people wanted to have a clean deck with very little above the hull to get into the way.
I did this post back in the day after I bought a BabyCat because I figured out how to mount a kayak 10 or 12 ft kayak on my BC to take down to PM and there you could anchor your boat kick the kayaks off and paddle the big flats and muddy bottoms.

There are a lot of tricks people figured out. I used to drop a brick off the back of the kayak when wading down wind and sit side ways in the seat. By the drag weight you can control your wade in most conditions.

I used to run three boards back then rigging was my favorite. There are some good Ideas for putting two rod holders on the back of your seat and many other ideas. Kayaks now look like up east and Florida with all the things they have mounted above the hull.
Luck JimD