Anyone fished around Missoula MT?

wittich

Anyone fished around Missoula MT?

Post by wittich »

I am planning a trip to Missoula, Montana in the middle of august. Has anyone fished the that area? I am looking for rivers that good for DIY wading trips. thanks, Jeremy
timbo
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Re: Anyone fished around Missoula MT?

Post by timbo »

I haven't fished in Missoula, but flyfished the Yellowstone, Gallatin and Madison Rivers near Bozeman and Livingston and also in Yellowstone National Park. Caught a lot of rainbows, a few browns, and a bunch of white fish also.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Same as Timbo, same rivers. Lots of places to fish. Hyalite canyon was my favorite.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Also the same as Timbo. Spent several summers in Big Sky. Stayed at a good friend's ranch that was right on the South Fork of the Gallatin. Fished that small stream almost every morning.

Thank's to my friend's knowledge of the area, and his selection of flies, we seldom failed to catch rainbows and a few brownies regardless of where we fished. Yellowstone was rain besieged the two times I drifted it. Only a few rainbows right next to the bank, and too many white fish to count. The fish were secondary to the scenery. Montana is a fly fisherman's dream.
timbo
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by timbo »

I'm thinking of another trip there next year. Lots of good fishing, and like KK said, the fishing is secondary to the scenery. I've discovered that rainbow and brown trout don't live in ugly places!
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

An aside:

A drive through rural Texas offers many examples of pickups with guns in rear window racks. Throughout Montana, the pickup rear window racks contain fly rods.