No Motor Zones

wittich

No Motor Zones

Post by wittich »

Why do we not have any no motor zones in Texas like they do in Florida?
Is there not a demand for at least one area where fish, kayakers can go without being cut off and run over by boats?
TarponTime

Re: No Motor Zones

Post by TarponTime »

Manatees. Plus , most Floridiots should not have crafts with motors to kill others with. :lol:
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

We have no prop zones due to them tearing up the sea grass. I would be against any no motor zones. Govt regulation=FUBAR imho
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

motoyak wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:33 pm We have no prop zones due to them tearing up the sea grass. I would be against any no motor zones. Govt regulation=FUBAR imho
I agree unfortunately the state can’t enforce rules on the books now. This is a rule that, in my opinion would create more friction between boaters and kayaks than there already is. No reason we all can’t get along if we all use common sense.

I’m not aware of any no prop zones at least along the center Texas coast. There is a state law against uprooting which is when a prop boat takes off in shallow water and uproots the sea grass with the prop. But this is another law that is not often enforced along the central Texas coast.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

I like what we have now… it’s not perfect but it works. A lot can be said here with many good points. However, the best thing we can do as kayakers is get out and fish. Be a presence on the water. Have bright colors, flags, practice safety and boating rules, and brag about your catches. :lol: Take an area like LHL. A lot of kayakers but still a motor zone. Some powerboats go back up in there but when they have to dodge kayakers, mangroves, oysters shell, and spooky fish it turns them away. Last week in South Bay close to LHL, there were probably 6 kayakers. A person that knows anything would go elsewhere in a powerboat. The campaign to decrease flats scarring and the advances in shallow water powerboats has helped too.

I also do not want to create a mountain out of a mound. There are cases when powerboats are in the wrong, but a lot of the time it’s the kayaker that is putting themselves in harms way. My 2 worst experiences with powerboats were in LHL on a holiday weekend ( she literally said sorry to me as the boat went buzzing in front of my kayak, I could read her lips 🙄) and the second time was right at daylight and the guy was not looking and going fast. He saw me last minute and swerved. Both times I wasn’t doing anything wrong or illegal. However, I don’t go to certain areas at daybreak and I do not go out on busy holiday weekends very often.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

heres a link to TPWD about no prop or prop up zones...
https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/water/ ... edfish-bay
wittich

Post by wittich »

Have you ever seen this prop scar law enforced? Have you seen the number of prop scars? Our Game wardens are underfunded, which is why I have only once had someone check my fishing license in the last 10 years. The only way to really protect sea grass in shallow estuary like LHL would be to limit the area to paddle/ pole/ trolling motor. But if there is not the demand, then it won't happen.
Last edited by wittich on Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

wittich wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:47 am Have you ever seen this prop scar law enforced? Have you seen the number of prop scars? Our Game wardens are unfounded, which is why I have only once had someone check my fishing license in the last 10 years. The only way to really protect sea grass in shallow estuary like LHL would be to limit the area to paddle/ pole/ trolling motor. But if there is not the demand, then it won't happen.
Never seen it enforced, only been asked once for my license and once for a life jacket since 2006. The only option we have for now is education and numbers. Talking with others, having a presence, and education will help. The issue I have more now are the wind boats. They are so loud and can get back in there with us. However, their tactic of running down fish and busting a U, then stop and soak bait really doesn’t affect me until they move to another spot. The fly fisherman on the other hand will get so close while polling looking for any sign of a fish (most of the time they pass right over them or spook them). These things will pass with time, but shallow water paddle fishing is just so convenient, fun, and affordable, while at the same time environmentally friendly and less destructive. I don’t see why anyone would choose anything else.The more the merrier!
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

This whole topic has been bantered around for many years... area closures and sea grass destuction. Laws have been passed but the bottom line comes down to personal responsibility. The area is too vast and law enforcement too thin.
All the guides Ive been with are very aware of prop scarring and avoid it as much as possible. Ive never been with a guide that wanted to fish LHL in their power boat.
Personally, I think the OP is making much to do about nada. Sure, Ive had close calls with power boats and wind machines but they are few and far between. Like everywhere, dicks will be dicks, best to avoid them or just move on. Lots of water out there 8)
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

motoyak wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:28 am heres a link to TPWD about no prop or prop up zones...
https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/water/ ... edfish-bay
Yes sir I’ve seen that one. I’m aware of the law against uproot of sea grass.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

motoyak wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:37 pm This whole topic has been bantered around for many years... area closures and sea grass destuction. Laws have been passed but the bottom line comes down to personal responsibility. The area is too vast and law enforcement too thin.
All the guides Ive been with are very aware of prop scarring and avoid it as much as possible. Ive never been with a guide that wanted to fish LHL in their power boat.
Personally, I think the OP is making much to do about nada. Sure, Ive had close calls with power boats and wind machines but they are few and far between. Like everywhere, dicks will be dicks, best to avoid them or just move on. Lots of water out there 8)
Lol gotta agree with most of that!

I’ve fortunately never had a close call with a prop boat and I fish mostly back lakes. But I understand that if I’m in a deeper gut, cut, channel, whatever you want to call it I understand that I’m fishing in the road. I can hear a boat coming and have always moved out of the way when I hear one.

I have had 2 close calls with airboats and by close calls at least the 50 foot rule was definitely broken. One air boat saw me fishing at least quarter of a mile away and still ran between my kayak and my popping cork that was sitting in the water about 50 feet from me.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

An inconsiderate, thoughtless, uneducated kayaker can do little harm to others with his kayak. A power boater, imbued with the same lack of character, can do a great deal of damage...,even to the extent of killing someone...,with his craft. As such, it is better to take the advice of a few old timers, and kayak very defensively. Stay out of the power boater's way, because there are a growing number of them who will not stay out of your way. And they have much more powerful outboards now, than ever before.

I have strong opinions concerning air boats. In short, they should be banned from all Texas waters as they are a danger to other boaters, their passengers, and to the environment. An exception can perhaps be made to accommodate hunters during duck season.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Good points Kayak Kid. A quick search will reveal how dangerous these boats are. Combined with the noise they cause to everyone around, more should be done.

https://www.kiiitv.com/amp/article/news ... 3e853485e9
Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

Post by Music Man »

IMG_0181.jpeg
IMG_0181.jpeg (45.36 KiB) Viewed 6476 times