Red Tide

fishcat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Red Tide

Post by fishcat »

Anyone see any signs of Red Tide along Follets moving toward MOB?
Alert from Brazoria County -
https://www.facebook.com/BrazoriaCounty ... TX9tenpNrl
ALERT UPDATE: The Red Tide situation that is impacting Galveston, Brazoria and Matagorda Counties is clearly tracking to the Southwest via prevailing ocean currents. Concentrations of the algae that were northeast offshore of Galveston, are now moving along Brazoria County coastlines of Surfside and Quintana Beaches, as well as across area bay networks, the Intercoastal Waterway, and the Brazos and San Bernard River delta regions. Matagorda County beaches and bays can expect likely Red Tide impacts soon, if not already.

https://www.ksat.com/news/texas/2023/09 ... sh-sharks/
motoyak

Re: Red Tide

Post by motoyak »

The video on KSAT is canned footage of a red tide fish kill...sensationalism! Other forums are reporting little or no fish kill. Im headed to the coast Sunday and will give my POV from west Matty,Lavaca bay, Port O and Seadrift areas
Last edited by motoyak on Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishcat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by fishcat »

How'd it go down there on Sunday?
Seems that this stuff was supposed to be drifting South from Freeport area.
Hoping to get another shot at Galveston surf soon, but can't burn a trip only to run into something like this -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAzPVwgFr7w
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

Im not seeing anything but trout green water in Seadrift and west Matty (Powderhorn lake). Headed to Espiritu Santo tmw. Caught a HUGE black drum off a reef today, est 30" x #40 fish, took 2 hands to haul it into the kayak in the net. Released of course...
Saw your link, theres always some dead fish washed up...that vid doesnt look like a red tide fish kill to me. Maybe its worse up the coast but alls well here. A good rain will flush any of that stuff out anyways
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Here’s what TPWD is showing on their website

https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/water/ ... atus.phtml
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

Seadrift got torrential rain and storms last night (as did Houston and points SE). I suspect any red tide is no more.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I guess I'm confused by all the hubbub regarding Red Tide. It happened every year down in the Corpus area when I was there during college.

It's practically an annual thing, is it not?
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

Neumie wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:49 am I guess I'm confused by all the hubbub regarding Red Tide. It happened every year down in the Corpus area when I was there during college.

yep
redruM4un

Post by redruM4un »

Nueces Bay was fine Friday to Yesterday...and yes there was a good amount of badly needed Rain for sure.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Neumie wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:49 am I guess I'm confused by all the hubbub regarding Red Tide. It happened every year down in the Corpus area when I was there during college.

The press release I read from TPWD said Red Tide hasn’t occurred on the Texas coast since 2018.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

SWFinatic wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:43 am The press release I read from TPWD said Red Tide hasn’t occurred on the Texas coast since 2018.
Hmmm, that's interesting. I was at TAMU-CC for 5 years and it happened every year out in front of campus in Corpus Christi Bay, though usually in November. I still don't think it's as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be, certainly not anywhere on the magnitude of the 2021 freeze.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

Espiritu Santo was purdy green water, not a hint of any red tide. Got a quick limit on specks then catch and release. The storm Monday night really flushed out the bays but the high tide made it plenty salty again. Tuesday was off but Wed (today) was memorable. Plenty of reds in the shallow grass, I just wasnt targeting them.
If you re on the fence about doing a coastal run, get off and enjoy the fun. Just a tad warm by 2p but thats changing rapidly
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

The most current report from TPWD indicates the areas where red tide has been detected seem to be decreasing in terms of detection levels.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/water/ ... atus.phtml
dnordin

Post by dnordin »

Was on Christmas bay yesterday no indications of red tide. On the gulf side water was looking good, schools of ladyfish were balling up in the first cut. No visual indication of red tide.