Jones Lakes 5-Nov-2023. Personal best Red

deptrai

Jones Lakes 5-Nov-2023. Personal best Red

Post by deptrai »

Got a late start and found the boat ramp area as full as I’ve ever seen it. Mostly duck hunters. There were also a few Fish & Game officers with one of those boats powered by a lawnmower engine and a windmill.

The barge traffic heading northeast was insane. There must have been some kind of backup at a port, because there was a barge parked about every 1/8 mile. Most had their bows pushed into the bank at an angle and left their engines in gear to keep them held in place. This creates a challenge passing behind them as they create some very turbulent and shallow water. I made it past alive.
1 barges.jpg
Now that that was behind me, I made a left turn into the lake complex. Water level was relatively high and all the oyster was submerged out of sight. Surface temp was 71.2F.
2 entry.jpg
I made casts at a few places where I’ve caught fish in the past but had no takers. I’d studied Google Maps the night before and had a plan to try a couple of new areas.
New area #1 yielded a small Red at 8:20.
3 short Red.jpg
That windmill boat passed me. Those things are loud.

New area #2 yielded a 16” flounder about 45 minutes later. Sorry, no pic as I released quickly.
Last edited by deptrai on Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
deptrai

Re: Jones Lakes 5-Nov-2023. Personal best Red

Post by deptrai »

I then headed back deeper into the lakes to where I’d had success before. I did find some fish in the lake, but not exactly the same spot. Surface temp was now 72.9F. I missed two bites that I’m sure where Reds. Both times I saw the mud boils after they were spooked.
I paddled out away from the shore and staked myself out while having a Gatorade and some food. It was just after 10am. Then I went back to the same stretch where I’d missed the two bites and worked the grass line again. This time I drove the hook home right into the upper jaw. The fish took off like a rocket straight away from me. Then it came back and dove into the tall reeds. It was all wrapped up in the weeds and I pulled myself towards it while getting the net ready. As I got near, the Mirage Drive bottomed out in the mud and the fish came out of the weeds at the same time. It swam under me towards the rudder. Somehow, I managed to keep it out of the drive and the rudder. It then took a long run behind me and into the lake. The pull of the fish dislodged me from the bottom and I was able to get turned around and peddled towards it. He soon tired and I drug him in on top of the water to the net. My personal best 28” Red. The only fish I brought home, but enough for my wife & I for dinner and lunch.
4 big red.jpg
I did manage another 16” flounder.
6 flounder.jpg
On my way back in on the ICW, there were even more barges stacked up. This time most of them were not pressed against the bank, but either anchored or somehow otherwise held in the middle of the channel. I was pleased, because it made it safer for me to pass by on the Gulf side of them.
28.jpg
Dave
Last edited by deptrai on Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Great result - I think you could invite neighbors to share your redfish. :mrgreen:
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Congratulations on the new personal best. A top of the slot redfish is about as much fun as I can stand, but really, redfish on either side of 28” are definitely exciting to have on the other end of the line.

I don’t know for sure why those barges do that, but there might have been an issue at the Brazos River Locks just a few miles up the canal.

Nice to see the flounder. Up until a few years ago, you could have kept 2 that size in November. But, flounder are evidently suffering so TP&W closed retention during the heart of the fall run.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Great trip. I enjoyed every moment of your battle with that giant red. I've never caught any red near to that size on a fly rod.