Humminbird Smartcast

kayak angler

Humminbird Smartcast

Post by kayak angler »

Hey y'all!

I'm new to the board though I've been lurking here off and on for the past year and a half. I'm in San Antonio and primarily fish Medina Lake and the Guadalupe out of my Scupper Pro or Old Town canoe.

Has anyone had the opportunity to try the Humminbird Smartcast? It's the one with the Dick Tracy like wristwatch video display. I read a report at paddlezone.net that was favorable and the salesman at Academy told me he's heard good feedback about it. It seems ideal for paddlefishing as it is compact and easily portable.

I'm thinking of getting one because I don't want to clutter up my boat with anymore fishing stuff.....transducers, wires and where do I put the video display. Lord knows I take enough with me already.

It looks like it just gives basic info...depth, bottom structure and some fish icons. That's about all I need. I just want to know if I'm pitching my bait to a likely spot or if I'm just getting casting practice!
Yaqui
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Yaqui »

There has been mention of the Smartcast in previous posts. Try a search. If you do get it let us know how it works.
Y
smartcast

Smartcast

Post by smartcast »

Funny you should ask! I'm the Humminbird tournamet coordinator and I'd like to share a story about my introduction to Smartcast. I have traditionally been a minimalist when kayak fishing and am ptrtty good at finding fish by the signs they create while flats fishing. I entered a tournament in Tampa, Fl last year and had no time to prefish, in fact I showed up at the last minute. Predictablly the March wind was blowing a flat out 20k at safe light the next moring. Fortunately, I had run into a guy at the Captains meeting from Atlanta who had pre fished. Peter Hink was the origional pioneer with Smartcast and was using the old Smartcast rf 10 to find fish (this is not waterproof). To make the story short, he had found, bait and fish. My self and two other friends fished along with Peter and were able to find good fishing even in a BIG wind. In fact we lost what may have been the largest fish before we could get a picture of it, it jumped clean out of the boat with one hop. Summary, four guys fishing unfamiliar ground in tough conditions were able to be competative using the Smartcast, not much else to say. It is the product and that was the event , which was critical in hooking Humminbird up with kayak fishing