Question for TKF Clay

ellisredfish

Question for TKF Clay

Post by ellisredfish »

Clay,
When you tied your popper, did you have to glue two pieces of the door hanger foam to get the thickness or did you tie a small popper? Cheers, Ellis
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

The door hangers I used where a 1/4" thick. I used one thickness. This is what Capt. Sparrow uses in his latest recipe for the V.I.P. .
The recipe can be found on his website:
http://lagunamadre.net/flies.htm
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

The door hangers are just about right. Mine were slightly thinner than the foam on the VIP's I got from Sparrow, but I think they'll work fine. I've used VIP's tied by Sparrow and I think the large doll eyes have a lot to do with the amount of "pop" you get. For reds I use several different retrieves with these poppers. A slow steady pull creates a wobbling wake. A series of short strips immitates a shrimp skipping. As a last resort or when blind casting, I strip it hard to make a fairly impressive "pop and spit". On sighted fish I'll try those three retrieves in that order until the fish determine which one they prefer that day.

Trout seems to like the harder popping and a steady retrieve.
ellisredfish

VIP POPPER

Post by ellisredfish »

Thanks, for some reason I thought the poppers were bigger. Lets answered my next question about retrieves. I feel much better now.