GPS

gonefishn

GPS

Post by gonefishn »

I am considering the Magellan Sprt Trak Map

Does anyone have one of these??

Would you recommend one for fishing purposes??

I appreciate any feedback

Thanks,
Nan
Newt
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Mapping GPS

Post by Newt »

A friend of mine has the Magellan SporTrak w/mapping. He is quite happy with his. However, he is not a fisherman.

I have the Garmin Etrex Legend. I fish salt water only. I purchased the Garmin Blue Chart CD to supplement the base map.

You have posted this on the fresh water board. From this, I assume you will fish mostly fresh water. Whatever unit you decide on. Think of what you plan to use it for. And check the base map carefully. The base map on the Legend was very poor for salt water. If the base map does not have the detail you want. Make sure they offer supplemental maps which will download into the GPS.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

I also use the Garmin etrex legend. I fish about 95% freshwater. I'm very happy with the legend...but I also don't use anywhere near the capapabilities of that gps. I really need to play with it more. Newt explained some of it's working when I was at the AP thingie...
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

I just purchased a SporTrak Pro, but really haven't used it while fishing yet - I still need to come up with a mount for it. You may want to PM or email cyberyakker. He has had a SporTrak Map for while.
cyberyakker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cyberyakker »

I like mine fine. TKFClay bought the pro which lets you get a lot more data into it plus I think it may support the nautical charts. Mine will hold a rectangle from just south west of Houston to north east of lake charles with a lot of data on it. I know you cannot use blue chart with the MAP, but I think the PRO supports it.

I will say though, I haven't needed more detail than what i have on mine with the maps CD that came with it.

If you have specific questions email me throuhgh the board.